News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

different signal strenght while switching diodes

Started by small fish, May 01, 2011, 11:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

small fish

Hi,
I´ve built some TS808 clone and added a switch for changing the clipping diodes. So far-so good.
I just realized, that different diodes are resulting in different output strenght (or loudness). f ex: the original 1N914 are quite loud in the signal path, changed to BAT41, the volume knob has to be turned way up, in order to keep the volume from the 1N914 (I hope, everythings understood, so far ???).

How do I modify the "louder" diodes, to keep a equal volume setting, while switching them. I think it has something to do with the different voltages of the diodes...any chance of, well, adding a resistor, to keep the high output ones more "low"? I think it´s easier this way, instead of increasing the low-output ones?

While playing, it doesnt matter, but while I was trying different settings, it´s annoying to turn the pedals volume up or down, everytime you switch the clippings.

tia 
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

madbean

You can double up on the diodes with the lower forward voltages to try an match the output of the higher ones. Try using two BAT41s in series each way.