News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good deals?

Started by junkemail86, May 02, 2011, 02:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkemail86

Anybody got some good component deals to share? 
I've enjoyed the Futurlec packs http://futurlec.com/cgi-bin/search/search.cgi  (have bought the resistor pack; LED pack; and electrolytic, multilayer ceramic, and mylar capacitor packs).  Very cheap, but low on mojo!

slimtriggers

Effects Connection has 3PDT switches for $3 for the next month. 

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=28

Tayda had them for $2.59 but they're out of stock.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Woah didn't see them at Tayda. Thats a great deal!!
The futurlec packs are priced nicely but I feel like their metal/carbon film are already at an amazing deal.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Haberdasher

Tayda for sockets, trimmers, leds, led bezels, and lots of other stuff too.  Dirt cheap with reasonable shipping costs and shipping times.  You don't get everything from Tayda, but you can really load up on stuff that costs a lot more at other places.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

mattpoole

i got solder here. (.020 may be a little thin but hey it seemed like a pretty good deal to me.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320693670317&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_922

i made an offer for $8 per item and paid $22 after shipping for 2 pounds of solder.

jimmybjj

tayda has 3pdt switches now
Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: mattpoole on May 05, 2011, 02:58:15 PM
i made an offer for $8 per item and paid $22 after shipping for 2 pounds of solder.

I've about to need some more solder and this seems like the best deal I've seen. It's usually $30+ a pound!
How is this solder working for you? Does it melt easily? The solder GGG provides I can never get a clear shiny joint with. Not sure if it really matters though.

Quote from: jimmybjj on May 05, 2011, 03:15:19 PM
tayda has 3pdt switches now

I'll have to get some from them now! I was about to put in an order anyways.
Tayda also has really cheap prototyping board. Its in the Hardware>Prototyping Boards section. The vero is 65 cents for 19X30 boards. They also have perfboard really cheap!

mattpoole

i'm not sure about the solder i just ordered it, but it is kester 63/37 so i am assuming it will flow nicely and kester is known to be clean. also the small diameter will help it melt easily in my experience.
i can give you an update when it arrives next week.

i wouldn't worry about shinny joints as long you aren't having any issues. also make sure you don't disturb your pbc or what ever you are soldering until it hardens and your joint should be nice and pretty. using stand for my pcb's has helped me with this immensely.

bigmufffuzzwizz

IIRC back to my first semester soldering class, the teacher telling us 63/37 works much better than the usual 60/40 because it has a lower wetting point. I like the thin solder because you can be precise, use just as much as you need, or over do it! It's just a bit of a pain to tin with.  :)
Yea exactly. Even though every solder instructional video says the joint should be "shiny" I very rarely get perfect shiny ones. It must not matter cause all of my builds work, just something I notice.

mattpoole

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 05, 2011, 03:24:17 PM
Quote from: mattpoole on May 05, 2011, 02:58:15 PM

I've about to need some more solder and this seems like the best deal I've seen. It's usually $30+ a pound!
How is this solder working for you? Does it melt easily? The solder GGG provides I can never get a clear shiny joint with. Not sure if it really matters though.

update:
i used it today and i like it.  it is super thin and took a little time to get used to, but i think i am really gonna like and 2 pounds of kester for $22 is a steal

jtn191

mammoth sells solder at $20/lb. haven't tried it

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great I'm gonna take your word and get myself some.  :D

thetrend77

Has anyone ever ordered anything from Banzai music and had it delivered to the US? There are some knobs on their site that I really like and I can't find them on any other site.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Just checked to get some and its ended! Hopefully he lists more.

jball85

+1 on the kester solder no matter how much it costs, like a freakin mirror.