Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

two questions about DirtBag delay

Started by Dimitree, September 18, 2014, 07:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

hi everyone,  :D

I have some question regarding two parts in the DirtBag delay:
1) why R17 is not tied to ground like on the deluxe memory man? what's the difference?
2) R11/R12 should be lowered from 68K to 47K when using V3205. Is this needed because the circuit is powered with 9V instead of 15V (and so inherent to the compander supply), or only for the headroom of V3205? more specifically, when using another BBD (not V3205) but still using 9V supply, should that resistors be lowered too?

thank you!!

m-Kresol

could you post a link to the schematic? I couldn't find it in the archives...
anyhow, just from the top of my head I think to remember that the v3205 are run on lower voltages than the MN3005. that could be the reason for the different R11/12 values, but I'm basically just guessing.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Scruffie

1) Converted from -15V to +15V
2) The Compander needs biasing to half supply at its output, this changes with supply, those resistors set the bias.
Works at Lectric-FX

Dimitree

Quote from: m-Kresol on September 19, 2014, 12:25:17 PM
could you post a link to the schematic? I couldn't find it in the archives...
anyhow, just from the top of my head I think to remember that the v3205 are run on lower voltages than the MN3005. that could be the reason for the different R11/12 values, but I'm basically just guessing.

of course, here it is:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Dirtbag/DirtBagDeluxe.pdf

Quote from: Scruffie on September 19, 2014, 05:32:39 PM
1) Converted from -15V to +15V
that was my guess, but I can't explain why..I mean, out of curiosity, why many other parts in the circuit are tied to ground just like on the original DMM(-15V), while ONLY this part is "inverted" (without considering opamp supply pins and cap polarity, of course)?
for example, the close parts C11 and R14, and many other, they just are tied to ground like on the original..
Why R17 need to be to V+?
if you tied it to ground, what's the difference?

Quote from: Scruffie on September 19, 2014, 05:32:39 PM
2) The Compander needs biasing to half supply at its output, this changes with supply, those resistors set the bias.
ok so if I understand correctly it is not because of the BBDs used after the compader..
I need to check carefully the datasheet to understand how to calculate those resistors in different situations..

Dimitree