News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Finally! Slow starter here...

Started by TotesMcGoats, September 19, 2014, 10:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TotesMcGoats

Hey all! Just signed up, but bought some pcb's a while ago...Life gets kinds crazy, so hopefully I will start a project or two in th enear future. I got a "mudbunny"&"green bean" that I want to do in one 1590BB enclosure, and then low rider. ANy suggestions on how to wire up 2 boards with one dc and set of audio? might I be better off using independent dc and audio? Just looking to save a bit on enclosure cost and thought these two would go nicely together. Look forward to dipping my brain in the pool of awesome that is madbean!

kothoma

I think it is a good idea to have an order switch on the Green Bean/Mudbunny combo.
One DC jack, one audio input/one audio output would be fine.

GermanCdn

Welcome aboard!

If you're looking for a two in one, pickup some 3PDT boards from 1776 effects, you can daisy chain the power and the audio, clean, quick, and easy.

Enjoy!
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

TotesMcGoats

I should probably add that I am a total newbie to this, so I look forward to gaining in both skill and knowledge.

muddyfox

No fear! We got all your questions covered! We have some smart cookies on this board!  ;D

Not to hijack your introduction thread but here's a few diagrams to get you started on what you want to do (I keep posting them, you might as well get them too  ::) ):

Wiring two boards in series, single dc, one i/o

Effects order switcher, as mentioned. Skip the LED if you want to use 3pdt stomp or toggle, wire boards i/o's instead of the jacks:

TotesMcGoats

Wow! Fantastic Help! I'm getting chills...

TotesMcGoats

Not sure what the order switcher is. Is it an independent unit or an alternative wiring. What does it do? Thanks again  :)

kothoma

You'd need to combine the two circuits.
Send/Return in the order switch circuit is Input/Output of the two fx circuits.

Edit. OK, first you need to decide if the two fx circuits need to be bypassed individually or only in combination.

Soup39

the order switcher determines the order of the effects wired into one box.  It will allow you to select if your mudbunny goes into the green bean or vice versa.

Not necessary, but handy

muddyfox

Yeah, let us know exactly what it is you'd like your pedal to do, connection and switching-wise and we'll take it from there.

Order switcher is a stomp/switch that does exactly that, switches the serial order of any two circuits, without you having to mess with plugging and unplugging cables if you had a separate i/o for the two circuits. The pedals remain independent, to be switched on or off at your convenience.

TotesMcGoats

I get it now. Also, what would be the necessary voltage for the combined pedal, 18V, or would it still be 9V? And where is a good place to get power supplies?(voltage/amperage/polarity) or should I build me one lol

muddyfox

Depends on the pcbs you're gonna use. If they are madbeans, check the project doc. Pedals are mostly 9V and since this is a parallel power setup, one 9V supply that can provide enough current for both pedals is all it takes.

There are a gazillion power supplies out there. Depending on your voltage/current/ac-dc/#ofpedals needs and the budget, there's something for everyone. 1Spot, VoodooLabs, Decibel Eleven, etc etc etc... pick your poison.

kothoma

Both circuits can be supplied from a single 9V source.
A 9V battery would last for many many hours.
Otherwise you should consider either
- a wall adapter (and and an apdapter cable to support several effect units)
- a power supply with several 9V outlets

TotesMcGoats

Thanks you guys. Seems as if I am in good company here! You all really know your stuff and I appreciate the time schooling a newbie such as myself. Just did some prelimenary budget check and it looks as if this might take me a while. I will try to keep the forum updated. Thanks again!