News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Brand new to building pedals

Started by derpedal, September 26, 2014, 10:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derpedal

I've done circuitry once in my entire life but I'm going to jump right into this. Still have to look into sourcing my own parts but if anyone could hit me with a rough estimate of the price to build, let's say, an Aquaboy Deluxe? Thanks!

GermanCdn

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on picking the most expensive project to build!

Enclosure - $10 -  $20 depending on finish
Resistors - $0.02 - $0.05 each depending on where you source
Caps - $0.10 - $0.20 each depending on where you source
MN delay chips - pricing is all over the place and quality on the cheaper ones are suspect, definitely more than $20 a piece (MN3008) and MN3005 are wicked expensive if you can find them.
3PDT stomp - $3 - $5 depending on where you source
Misc hardware ~ $25

It's definitely not the first project I'd start with.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

derpedal

Cool well thank you for the prices/advice.  Whatever my first build is I plan on making my own enclosure so luckily I can X that out.  Still might go for the Aquaboy  ;D

m-Kresol

welcome to the addiction.
I have to agree with Curtis, the aquaboy is pretty advanced, I'd start with something less complicated. Fuzz or overdrive circuits usually are easy and low on part counts.
Also, a kit is most often a good first choice, because there are various parts you most likely have never seen before so ordering on your own can be hard. There are various places you can get kits, and there also beginner's level delays ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

angrykoko

Welcome aboard!!

Ditto what the other's said.

Additionally, that would be a tough build to debug if something went wrong, it's got a bunch of parts and many are expensive and hard to find.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

kothoma

Quote from: derpedal on September 26, 2014, 10:38:02 AM
I plan on making my own enclosure so luckily I can X that out.

Out of cardboard labeled with a pencil? :P Don't underestimate these costs.
There are still at least $10 for various semiconductors missing in the list above.
Add various amounts for shipping/handling.
The whole thing could run between $100 and $200.

Quote from: derpedal on September 26, 2014, 10:38:02 AM
Still might go for the Aquaboy  ;D

I really recommend to do a few other things first. Start with a few dirt boxes, do a BBD chorus and a flanger, maybe then you are ready. ;)
Be prepared to invest into an oscilloscope or otherwise gain access to.

Govmnt_Lacky

One of the most discouraging things for new builders is to finish your first project only to have it not work after pulling your last hair out.

Broken record time....

I agree with what ALL of the others said and start smaller. Boost, TS-type circuit, or a Fuzz. Get you feet wet. Don't dive in head first otherwise read my first statement.

You DO have a Multimeter right? Digital preferred and with resistance, DC voltage, AC voltage, Continuity, Diode testing, and also capacitance/frequency measurement is good. Above all... you WILL NEED ONE!  ;)

davent

In the hierarchy of learning to walk before you run the Aquaboy's a triathlon.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

I'll just chime in with yet another suggestion to build something simpler first. Pick one of the projects labeled "Noob." Then pick a "cowboy." When you are comfortable knowing how to troubleshoot and can follow a schematic and debug a circuit, tackle a "Genius." Trust me, you'll eventually want to build them all anyway, you might as well use the easier ones to practice!

And not to discourage you from building your dream pedal, but even over 100 pedals in, designing my own circuits, and debugging virtually everything under the sun, I have never gotten a bucket brigade delay-based pedal of any kind to work on a PCB, and haven't even been able to diagnose the problem on a couple of them. It's my Achilles heel. When you tackle a circuit that complex, you NEED to know that it's not a beginner mistake that's keeping it from working, otherwise you'll get frustrated, lost, and give up on a wonderful hobby. So I'd say start with basically anything but the ABD ...

derpedal

Thanks everyone! Realistically no I will not try to build the aquaboy  :'( I look forward to learning what I can through this forum and elsewhere before my first build. Still need to buy a few things and create my work space.

Out of cardboard labeled with a pencil? :P

Actually I'm going to craft one from wood!

kothoma

Quote from: derpedal on September 26, 2014, 11:33:02 AM
Actually I'm going to craft one from wood!

Wooden enclosures are awesome. But compared to metal ones you need to provide your own shielding. Copper foil is excellent.

angrykoko

Quote from: davent on September 26, 2014, 11:24:47 AM
In the hierarchy of learning to walk before you run the Aquaboy's a triathlon.
Ha! Excellent way to put it.

I did the triathlon thing but got lucky.  My first thing soldered was an AX84 HO Amp, bought it as a bunch of parts and proceeded to screw it up from there.  The night I decided to flip the switch the first time I had my wife standing with a 2x4 ready to push me off the thing if my hair started to smoke.  For some reason she decided to hit me with it after I turned it back off though :)

I'm still here and the amp worked so.. I consider myself lucky that a build like that worked for me and I didn't get hurt.  Never got comfortable with the "death by high voltage" stuff with amps so it's pedals for me.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Leevibe

stevie1556

Welcome to the forum and the bottomless money pit of this hobby!

As above, start with something cheaper and simpler. A good circuit I find is the Egghead. Awesome overdrive pedal IMO

danwelsh

Hi. Good luck if you decide to build the abdx.....I've been building for 3 years and I couldn't get it going. But to each ones own. Even though the fellas are telling you its not a goodles starting circuit I'm sure they won't back down in helping you troubleshoot it. :)