News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about resistors

Started by HailToTheBlues, November 04, 2014, 06:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
I'm working on my first order from mouser, but i will also orders a couple things from musikding at the same time, but i'm having trouble deciding if the xicon resistors from mouser are worth the difference in price from the resistors that are sold in musikding. Musikding sells resistors for 0,06 EU cents, and mouser sells Xicon resistors for 0,144 EU cents. Are they worth the difference?
Note that i have bought musikding resistors in the past, but since i've never seen a xicon resistor, i can't compare them.

Best regards

muddyfox

how thick are MD resistor leads?

Muadzin

If you only need a few resistors for a specific build, like a BOM, then don't bother with Mouser, as their stuff tends to get a lot cheaper when bought in bulk. If you want to create some stock however, then I guess Mouser is better. Since you're thinking of ordering from Musikding I assume you're an European, in which case do take into account insanely expensive American shipping costs and of course insanely expensive EU import charges, which together usually negate any advantage to be had from cheaper American prices.

mgwhit

I can't compare them to the Musikding resistors, but the Xicon 271's that Mouser sells have thick, firm leads and are very nice to work with.  I much prefer them over the cheap resistors from Tayda that have leads so thin they practically bend if you breathe on them.  I think they just feel better when you're populating a board.  Whether or not they're worth a few more pennies per resistor is really your choice, though.  On pedal circuits they all get the job done just as well.

Mouser components do tend to start high and then drop price when you buy in quantity.  I think the resistor price drop point is 200 pieces these days, which is tough to justify if you're just doing a few builds.

HailToTheBlues

Well, i don't find musikding resistors that thin, as you describe the tayda ones, and i just want some resistors for a couple builds, i don't have intention of buying that many resistors, so i think i'll go with the musikding one's.

dont-tase-me-bro

The Mouser 200 piece price break evens out at around single 20 pieces, when you do the math.  It's good to have extra stuff for common things
I thought this would save me money.