News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What etchant are you guys using?

Started by jimmybjj, May 13, 2011, 03:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

I'm currently using muratic acid in 1 to 1 solution with 40% peroxide. Not happy with the results I'm getting, hence the reason for the thread  ;D It don't seem to work very long. I start a session with fresh solution and it starts off fast but quick comes to a slow crawl, having to sometimes add fresh solution.
Pcbs no longer available

Haberdasher

I use muriatic and peroxide as well, so I can relate to it slowing down.  It still works, it just takes longer and longer to etch.  I've never tried anything else though.

But I wanted to ask you, where do you buy 40% peroxide?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

irmcdermott

Quote from: jimmybjj on May 13, 2011, 03:43:49 AM
I'm currently using muratic acid in 1 to 1 solution with 40% peroxide. Not happy with the results I'm getting, hence the reason for the thread  ;D It don't seem to work very long. I start a session with fresh solution and it starts off fast but quick comes to a slow crawl, having to sometimes add fresh solution.

It will never be as strong as the first time you use it. That's what I use. I've actually had great success with a 2:1 (H202:HCl) ratio. Also, adding just a capful of H202 will rejuvenate the solution.

When you say you aren't happy with the result, are you talking about the actual etch? Or just the time it takes to get the etch? How thick the copper is on the clad you are using will affect the time as well.

Ian

cjkbug

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 13, 2011, 04:06:16 AM
But I wanted to ask you, where do you buy 40% peroxide?
you can get it at hair salon suppliers.
I switched from ferric chloride to the muriatic acid/peroxide mixture. it's litterally 10 times cheaper. it's also a lot easier to manage the left over etchant.

...And it works so much better. 
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

jimmybjj

I get the peroxide from "sallys beauty supply"

It is much cheaper but requires much more effort, the strength for ferric is much more consistent.

I am happy with the results but not the consistency.
Pcbs no longer available

Haberdasher

I wonder if they call it something else other than hydrogen peroxide at salon suppliers, then.  I went in a local supply shop here and the crazy lady working there told me they don't carry h2o2.  wtf, lol

edit: i just called sally's.  FYI they call hydrogen peroxide "developer" in case anyone else who is not well-versed in beauty supply products is looking.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

keysandguitars

I'm a noob, but FWIW I am using ammonium persulphate. I've only etched four boards, but they went quickly and the tracks are nice, sharp and clean. From what I understand it isn't nearly as caustic as other materials.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!