News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Do we have any recyclers here? Electronics salvagers?

Started by jimmybjj, May 15, 2011, 12:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

I don't personal recycle any old electronics or even parts of of me old board i don't use. But I always admire people who have the motivation/dedication to do this. It's also cool to hear/read some of the stories to accompany some these adventures. Well, do any you guys do this?
Pcbs no longer available

night-B

Some people are using the components on the small pcb of the energy saver light bulbs, to make simple fuzz circuits. I've seen a tut and some schems on aron elson's site. Check for "light bulb" there  ;)

cjkbug

there is some good film caps in the lightbulbs. I've gotten some good ribbon cable and high quality resistors, regulators and caps out of a few old stereo receivers from the early '80's I had in storage since I was a kid. I filled a couple multi compartment boxes with salvaged parts. whenever I need a weird value I don't have, 9 times outa ten I can find it in there.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

jtn191

very interesting about lightbulbs...better to salvage before you throw them away

ironically, I had a question and hope this isn't thread hijacking:

anybody know anything about yak baks? I've looked for schematics/mods out there...but thought it would be cool to turn one into a lofi phrase sampler pedal.  ;D
I cracked open mine from my childhood to find some resistors, a speaker , but no ICs...I'm curious about a) what actually does the storage and b) how to mod it for 1/4 jacks and momentary switch

raulduke

I use a lot of stuff that I salvage from where I work. All of the wire I use is usually from multicore cable ofcutts that are bin bound unless I use it. The engineers at work always save stuff for me that I might be able to use.

My latest salvage was an old enclosure from a boiler controller box. An old green hammerite steel enclosure that will make the perfect enclosure for a mini amp head! I love recycling stuff like that.

The LED's and Caps that I sent to CRBMOA were all from work as well and were going to get thrown away. I hate to see usefull stuff go in the bin! I'm just like my dad in that way; his garage is full of stuff that 'might come in usefull', guess we are both hoarders ha ha  :)

stecykmi

Quote from: jtn191 on May 15, 2011, 08:08:08 PM
very interesting about lightbulbs...better to salvage before you throw them away

ironically, I had a question and hope this isn't thread hijacking:

anybody know anything about yak baks? I've looked for schematics/mods out there...but thought it would be cool to turn one into a lofi phrase sampler pedal.  ;D
I cracked open mine from my childhood to find some resistors, a speaker , but no ICs...I'm curious about a) what actually does the storage and b) how to mod it for 1/4 jacks and momentary switch

A lot of times manufactures will goop the ic. I imagine it's to prevent reverse engineering. Anyway, if you look at the pcb, you'll likely see a black resin blob. The ic is in there.

Anyway, I always keep an eye out for stuff that can be turned into enclosures. Rare to find, but occasionally you find old A-B boxes and stuff like that.

slimtriggers

I found a bunch of 2n3904 trannies and 1n4148 diodes in a dead smoke detector. 8)

juansolo

Yeah, I pull old transistors and diodes from old kit that passes through my hands. I don't go out and search for it though.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gtr2

I do here and there.  I'll pick up cheap dollar top load vcr's when I see them sometimes.  In hope of a mn3005.  No luck yet but I don't actively salvage.  I'd rather build than unsolder.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer