News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Copper Clad

Started by irmcdermott, June 11, 2010, 02:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Hey guys and gals,

So, where do those of you that etch boards buy your copper clad. I've just been using the double sided stuff that you can buy at Radio Shack. I really am not a fan of Radio Shack and their prices to begin with, so I would like to start getting it from somewhere else.

Also, I'm thinking about starting to by single sided copper clad to help save some etchant/money.

What do you guys use and where do you get it from?

Haberdasher

Good question.
And the boards madbean sells here, are they 1/16 thickness? My calipers kind of suck and it's hard for me to tell.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

irmcdermott

Brian. You are awesome!! Thanks!!! 10 sheets 4.75x9" for $4!!! I pay $4 to $5 for one 4x6 at RipOff Shack!!!! Thank you so much!!

madbean

Make sure you know what you are getting. He has both FR-4 and CEM. Personally, I only use CEM because he offers different colored backing. And, fr-4 is ugly stuff (although it is very consistent).

Also, you will want anything between .047-.064" thick. He also typically offers 1/2oz, 1oz and 2oz. 1oz is standard, 1/2oz will etch more quickly and 2oz is super thick. You would think 2oz would take twice as long to etch as 1oz, but in practice it takes 3-4 times longer. The newest stuff I have is 1/2 oz it it is lightening fast to etch, ie less pollutant. FYI.

irmcdermott

good call. i'll look around and make sure i get the right stuff! thanks again!!

irmcdermott

I ordered from the source Brian gave the link to. Awesome place to buy from! I placed an order on a Saturday, they shipped 1st thing Monday and were in my mailbox on Wednesday.

With shipping, I got 12 boards for the price that would have gotten me about 3 of the same size from Radio Shack. Thanks again for the link!

About to start etching with this new batch.

Ian

madbean

Yep, Bill's service is outstanding!

Haberdasher

Quote from: madbean on June 12, 2010, 09:37:06 PM
Make sure you know what you are getting. He has both FR-4 and CEM. Personally, I only use CEM because he offers different colored backing. And, fr-4 is ugly stuff (although it is very consistent).

Also, you will want anything between .047-.064" thick. He also typically offers 1/2oz, 1oz and 2oz. 1oz is standard, 1/2oz will etch more quickly and 2oz is super thick. You would think 2oz would take twice as long to etch as 1oz, but in practice it takes 3-4 times longer. The newest stuff I have is 1/2 oz it it is lightening fast to etch, ie less pollutant. FYI.

Brian, I was thinking about getting some .031" CEM with 1 oz copper from Bill.  Is that just too thin?  Would I be asking for trouble?

thanks

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

It will be thin, but usable. Probably better suited for small to medium boards. And, it will score and snap very easily!

The black stuff I'm using now is .052, so yours will be about 2/3 of that thickness...very serviceable.

One note: I've found the red boards he sells to be a little less reliable. The cladding on the red is sometimes a little weak.

Haberdasher

Thanks for the advice Brian.
Where are you finding colored cem?  There is some blue available, but all the other colors I see are FR-4.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

Actually, the black I use is FR4.

aziltz

i just learned that the thinner substrates can be cut quite easily with shears!  no more band saw messyness!

madbean

Yeah, tin snips will do the trick :)

Haberdasher

Well, I received the .031" boards.  I think I'll feel quite comfortable working with it.

And yes, this stuff seems like it could be cut with a sturdy pair of scissors as long as they have smooth blades.  The grooves in kitchen shears leave nasty markings on the copper IIRC.  Using straight blade snips is probably the way to go.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: