News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MFOS Subcommander

Started by mcasemo, November 29, 2014, 01:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcasemo

It's not a madbean build, but wanted to share my build of the Music From Outer Space Subcommander, analog guitar synth.  I found a guy on etsy making octagon shaped dice trays out of oak and he made me a box, which is beautiful.  The graphic is something from a Russian artist, Tebe Interesno, a submarine orbiting the earth.  I covered the top in aluminum tape first, then clear waterslide decal over the tape.  I may redo this, i think it needs more contrast and i can't get a good photo of it. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/173464708/hand-made-octagonal-dice-trays?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=octagon+dice+tray&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Anyway, still playing with this thing, very fun.  Troubleshooting included missing jumpers (to replace caps for some mods), left off chips, wrong chips, backwards chips, and a bad guitar cable.  My first real troubleshooting using as o-scope, which was pretty satisfying.

cheers,
Mark

Leevibe

Very cool and ambitious build. I love the MFOS stuff! Although Alan has me leaning toward eurorack if I ever get into analog synth world. I like the graphic too!

jubal81

Now that is seriously impressive! I really dig the case and the submarine theme. Great work!
Any chance you'll be making a demo?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

mcasemo

Thanks!  I can't play for sH*T, so i need to farm that video out. Just got back from having a friend test it out, very fun, but not sure i still know how to make it sing.  i need to re-watch the MFOS demo, then go from there.  If i get some basics down with it, i'll video.

cooder

How cool what a wicked machine...!
A demo woud be really cool, I'd be keen to get more of an idea about this!
Sweet work, great look! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

You are either insanely brilliant, or brilliantly insane :) Good stuff!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

I just googled and checked out the MFOS site.... great stuff, I'm afraid I've gotta build one too... sigh.... ;)
BigNoise Amplification

Vallhagen

Very cool, Mark!

Glad to see more of this insanebox! Co0ol finnish on yours as well!

Cheers
/Bengt
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Hogharry

Just brilliant! Anything with that many knobs must be good. I'm not sure what it does but I want one.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

Luke51411

mcasemo

thanks everyone!  here is the video from ray at MFOS on the subcommander.   

sonarchotic