News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD (BE WARNED touchy feely post)

Started by PhiloB, December 14, 2014, 07:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Had a friend of mine invite me out to his car to show me a guitar today.  It was a really sweet looking partscaster.  He flipped it over to reveal my name and a message written in permanent marker so I couldn't refuse the gift.  It was very humbling to say the least.  I don't do well at receiving gifts...never have.  I am so grateful to have people in my life that love me and can see past my faults.  God has done a great work in me and continues to change me through relationships with others.  This is a big deal because I used to keep most everyone at a distance.  Since I've started letting people in things are changing...
He doesn't remember the details of the build (he had someone build the body and assemble everything). He said it had 'high end' pickups and hardware.  I played it all night tonight and the neck feels incredible.  The bridge pickup sounds like a tele for sure but not quite as bright as my other tele.  I don't know if it's the pickup and/or the wood...but I like it.

Please respond below with gifts you may have received in the past and how you felt accepting such a gift.

Also, if you recognize what wood the guitar and neck might be made of please comment as well.

PhiloB

morganp

That is a wonderful gift!  Your friend's love and appreciation are obvious, I would be honored. 

It looks to me like the back is black korina, and the top is bubinga, and the neck is some of the most beautifully figured birdseye maple I've ever seen. 
affiliation: www.dustystrings.com

davent

Absolutely stunning, no mere partscaster there!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

Really really awesome and full of depth and meaning! Very cool!
BigNoise Amplification

Leevibe

What an amazing and meaningful gift. You must be an awesome friend.

My wife bought me a guitar as a wedding present that I still use all the time. It's been almost 19 years now and I think of her every time I pull it from its case. It's a pre-fender Guild JF-30 from the Westerly, Rhode Island factory. Jumbos aren't exactly in style right now but I love this guitar. I need to take some pictures of it and post them some time.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

playpunk

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

brejna

Beautiful gift! I can't recognize wood type, but those wood pores are common for tropical trees. That is probably something exotic. North sphere trees have small pores..

EDIT: neck could be eyebird maple/ebony

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

PhiloB

I feel like I should clarify here.  I didn't do anything in my own power.  I was 'in the right place at the right time' in this guys life.  It was obviously a God thing.  He and I both recognize that.  I guess maybe that's why I'm struggling to accept the gift. 

thesameage

muddyfox

wow, thats a great story!
you've obviously done the guy a huge favor by being yourself at a certain point in time. hes not trying to repay you for what you did at that point, but for your lifetime that put you in his path at the very moment of need. whether it was god or a random string of events it really doesnt matter and is a matter of personal interpretation. i dont think you should belittle the event or the outcome by refusing to accept such a sincere gift. the fact that its a guitar just means that he really put a lot of thought into it and you should acknowledge it for what it is and not for what you think your part in the process was. god and entropy work in mysterious ways so just do your bit and accept the guitar to finish the circle.
my two bits fwiw, anyways...

PhiloB

Thanks Muddyfox.  I appreciate your take on it.  That has been the bottom line for me in this....it would be selfish for me to decline the gift.  It's not about me.  It is obviously something this guy felt led to do.  Who am I to deny him his obedience because it makes me uncomfortable.