News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recommend me a fuzz build

Started by slimtriggers, May 20, 2011, 08:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

I'm looking for a nasty, splatty fuzz.  The kind that's really only good for single note playing.  Ideally it would be achievable with Si trannies, too, since I'm too broke for Ge right now  :D

I'm thinking maybe Mosrite Fuzzrite-ish? 

JakeFuzz

You could get a Cosmo board and build the Lunar Module, epic for DSOTM creamy sounding lead lines, super sustain. Not that splatty though.

sprayfe

Yeah- I put a bc109 in my q3 of the
Cosmo and I may keep it until I can figure out how to make it a lunar module!
Sounds killer even as is!

jkokura

I think the Fuzz Factory would fit except you only want Si trannies...

I think the wolfshirt might be my favourite fuzz I've built. I don't particularly like fuzz though. If I'm honest, I don't mind a little Tonebender or Fuzz Face done right, but I'm not really into the crazy out of this world fuzz tones some guys are.

I'm very interested to see how the Cosmo fuzz sounds, the Screwdriver is more of an overdrive though...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

juansolo

Depends how splatty you want to go. I personally like the Wolf Computer. That can do some really wierd and wonderful stuff (much like a Fuzz Factory).

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

slimtriggers

I'm definitely not going for creamy fuzz.  I have that one covered.  I'm wondering if I could could just play around with the bias of a Si fuzz face to get the sound I'm after?  Or maybe the Snack Shack could get close?

This is the sound I want:

(John Lyons makes some really incredible stuff)

night-B

The snack schack is close to a distorsion in my opinion, very articulate and precise with chords, no harmonic or light octave effect...

bigmufffuzzwizz

Have you check out the Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz? I would describe it somewhere between noisy chainsaw/buzzsaw and splatty. Maybe a Mosrite Fuzzrite would work for you too..
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

slimtriggers

From the demos I can find, the Mosrite sounds pretty close to what I'm looking for.  I think I'll give that a shot  8)

I wish I could build them all...

dwstanford

Yeah, the fuzzrite is always good.  It definitely gets that spaghetti western feel.  You should also look into the merkin fuzz.  It's a fuzzrite style pedal but with a bit more flexibility.   The univox super fuzz or the companion fuzz are both very wild splatty fuzzes.  I also really like the wooly mammoth on guitar.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: dwstanford on May 21, 2011, 05:03:17 PM
Yeah, the fuzzrite is always good.  It definitely gets that spaghetti western feel.  You should also look into the merkin fuzz.  It's a fuzzrite style pedal but with a bit more flexibility.   The univox super fuzz or the companion fuzz are both very wild splatty fuzzes.  I also really like the wooly mammoth on guitar.

Super fuzzes are one of my favorites! I've built 3 of them now! If you put your MB Machine after it you'll get some crazy sounds.
I have a vero layout for the Merkin Fuzz on my desk waiting for some attention. I'm really looking forward to that. And since I've sold my GGG companion fuzz I decided I have to build another one! This time with a third knob and scoop switch! The one I sold was just soo insane.
When I demo'd it for the guy I was playing it thinking "this sounds good but its usually crazier". Then I realized I had the fuzz knob at minimum!! It's almost enough fuzz with that setting and everything over it just for mayhem sonic annihilation..My best description is the band Jesus and the mary chain album pyschocandy. The guy uses the FY-2 pretty much exclusively.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

slimtriggers

Just checked a demo of the Merkin Fuzz.  That's the sound!  I even found a verified vero layout!  Thanks for turning me on to that! 8)