News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD

Started by pickdropper, December 24, 2014, 11:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Just got a guitar I've wanted for a while: an early-to mid nineties Gibson Les Paul Junior Special.  I passed on buying one of these about a decade ago and I always felt it was one of those that got away. I've been shuffling a few pieces of my guitar collection lately and decide I wanted to keep an eye out for one.

Over the years, that pricing has slowly crept up on these and I haven't pulled the trigger on one.  I found this one for a reasonable price and decided to give it a go.  Obviously, the pricing was reasonable because this thing has quite a bit of wear on it.  Little dings are everywhere (except the neck thankfully) and the back has a few decent gouges in it.  There's also some lacquer missing on the headstock (likely where it made contact with a guitar stand).  It's all cosmetic, however.  I haven't found any structural issues.  I suppose this is the look that some of the relic guitars go for, except instead of it being aged by Tom Murphy, it was probably aged by getting hit by bottles of Murphy's in a pub on the rough side of town (OK, I made that up). 

So far, I've been digging it.  Time will tell if I leave the P100s in there or put a real set of P90s in it.  The P100s do sound slightly different, but quite good and lack of hum is a nice touch.  I may or may not change the nut to a bone nut (it has a graphite nut on there now).

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

cooder

Very noice! 8) Hohoho the big Dude in red brought a red geetaaar to Dave's house...  ;)
BigNoise Amplification

playpunk

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

That thing is awesome looking.. I want one also. One day, one day.

Cody

SmoothAction

If I didn't sell my car to buy the Gibson I currently own (still deciding if that was a good choice), I'd buy another car to sell to finance another Gibson. My life choices...

Very nice PD, and thank you for the kind words.

jubal81

Now that's a work horse. Heckuva score, bud.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GrindCustoms

That's my kind of guitar, used and ready to take more! Nice NGD dude!  8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

culturejam

She's a beaut, Clark.  :D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Thanks guys.

I think workhorse is an apt description.   This thing has obviously seen some action; I'm looking forward to playing the hell out of it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

LizardKing

Isn't there something special about the simple guitars that make them special?
I love Les Paul/SG Juniors!
That one is the right colour and looks nice.
I hope you leave the P90s in it, they work really well on those guitars.
I'd try better P90s if those don't tickle yer tush.

Used to be a Gibson guy but have turned into a Fender guy since Gibson went all "too damn cheap
to paint something properly, let's market it as something good" low quality/overpriced crap.
They still make some good, basic guitars, and a whole lot of stuff that's just plain bad or not my taste at all....
Faded?
LOL!
That's a backyard, unfilled, lazy, and just plain nasty finish and Gibson should forever be ridiculed for ever selling such a thing.
They should catch even more stinky stuff for doing it repeatedly with different names for decades....
They could have just Tru-oiled the things and said so.

Kinki fuzz

Nice guitar, most things look better with sings of use, specially guitars and denim :-)
I would never relic a guitar but I hate the brand new look also

Hogharry

Nicely worn in and just coming into it's prime. Lovely.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...