News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do you guys feel about the Pod?

Started by mremic01, December 27, 2014, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mremic01

I've got a Pod 2.0, and it's awesome. Cheesy sounding, but there're a lot of fun tones in there. It's great for doing scratch tracks if you don't want to set up different gear for different parts, or if you can't get a hold of that one amp of effect you need for a bridge and it doesn't need to be perfect. On the other hand, a lot of the gainier tones tend to be woofy and fizzy. I've been thinking about one of the HD Pods. Are they that much better, or is it the same kind of cheeseball sound with more fancy options? 

das234

I don't know about the new pods but I have a 2.0 myself and I loved playing that thing through my old Polytone SS head.  I even have the floorboard foot controller for it.  Since then I picked up a new amp that I really like all by itself (it's a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister) and now I'm not sure if or when I'll use the POD again.  Still I can't bear to get rid of it just yet.  If nothing else, it's a great little practice tool to take wherever I want.

GrindCustoms

Had a 2.0 when it came out, was using it through the poweramp of my Crate GX212... the Recto setting sounded awesome. That setup also signed the SS ampage setup i had.

I've been using a UX2 recording interface before, still have it... just don't use it.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

mojah63

I have a pod 2.0 and the hd500. The HD is a PIA to get a serviceable tone, it sucks, I like my pod 2.01 better. I also have a eleven rack and that slays both.

RobA

I tested a bunch of the simulator pedals/boxes and thought the Vox Tonelabs were the best of them. But then better amp/effect simulators started coming out for the computer and I found those to better except for the point that the dynamic range on the inputs for guitar is unsatisfying.

I then bought a Tube Meister 5 and a Marshall Class 5 that I run through a power soak to line input. I do cabinet simulation in software. I like this path and I haven't used any of the simulators since.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

mremic01

The Tubemeister does sound interesting. I built a Red Box clone, but it clips pretty easily. Still, it's a cool feature to have built into an amp. Still, I'm GAS'ing for the rackmount Pod HD, or maybe an elevenrack.

RobA

Quote from: mremic01 on December 28, 2014, 01:15:19 PM
The Tubemeister does sound interesting. I built a Red Box clone, but it clips pretty easily. Still, it's a cool feature to have built into an amp. Still, I'm GAS'ing for the rackmount Pod HD, or maybe an elevenrack.
I don't actually use the attenuator in the H&K when I go into the computer. I run it straight into a 16Ω load and then a little preamp circuit to bring it up to line level. I really prefer doing the speaker EQ stuff in digital where I have a lot more flexibility. I do the same thing with the Marshall.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Jabulani Jonny

I started with Pod 2, then went with a Pod XT and a Variax. The thing is that the clean tones actually sounded about 93% there while the crunch and drive tones were about 85%. It was just missing something. I don't know if it was harmonics or what.

On a side note, if you've ever heard of Lincoln Brewster he uses a Pod solely for his studio and concert tone, running direct to FOH. He even lets you download his patch bank.

I sold it all and bought  tweed blues Jr, a Pedaltrain with a bunch of decent pedals and a G&L Comanche.

I won't be going back to modeling. As convenient as it is, it seems to always be lacking, whether live or recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

Hogharry

I have the X3, which is a big improvement on the 2.0 I had before. Not used it lately but it's an easy way to record and get a decent result. I've used it with the normal models and just as an interface with the speaker emulated line out from a Blackstar HT-5 as well. I tend to use it with POD farm as a plug-in for Reaper, so I can tweak things after the event. Planning to try some more distortion pedals into a clean amp model. Worked pretty well in the past with a Dr B.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

LizardKing

I love my pod and can tell it is not the real thing if I listen closely when playing by myself,
but in a band it is usually like 98% spot on if tweaked properly and no huge pedalboard with lots of pedals to lug around.

trustybs

I never used my pod for live or practice with a band but i did all my home recordings with a pod 1 and then a pod 2 for some years.  I liked it a lot and the clean tones can be really great.  But the overdriven tones are sometimes less convincing and the pod don't always do great with stompboxes (it hates my rat and most of my fuzz pedals).  I have always found that there is a "veil" over the sound.  Since last year, I'm using tech 21 character series pedals (blonde, leeds and liverpool).  When you play, they have way more dynamics than the pod and they do great with other stompboxes.  There is no "veil" over the sound, it's indeed very dry.  It's not perfect though, i guess if you want the sound of a real amp you have to use a real amp.  But for me it's not always possible to use my amp to record (neighbors, sleeping kids etc...) But i prefer the tech 21 over the pod.
I also must add that in the software department, overloud makes great emulations : TH2 for guitar (amps and effects) mark studio for bass and a Fantastic spring reverb : springage.

Vallhagen

I think back then - is it 15 years ago or so(?) - the POD was really gods gift to us musicians, they opened up a new arena for creativity. Decent sounds at zero volume, ideal for bedroom playing and recording. I loved my POD 2.0, and still have it connected in my bedroom studio (which, as by coinciddence i shown here in another thread just some hours ago), though i seldom use it nowadays. I never got my hands on any more recent PODs (xt, X3, hd...), but afaik there are actually a few sounds that 2.0 could come up with that actually beat its successors. If you ask me: It has a bit of it's own sound, call it "digital" if you like; and you may like it or not. I found it very suitable for recording bass too.

I tried to use it live twice, and hated it. It just didnt do it for me; i MUST have a "real" amplifier to lean on on stage.

Cheerio
Bengt
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Frag Magnet

I still one (POD 2.0) from time to time for recording demos.  It's not perfect by any means but it sure has been useful for me in that capacity for the last decade or so.
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

blearyeyes

Very convenient but sounds "small". Good lazy mans git box. Tried it live and it sucked fumes. Sold it a long time ago.

Shrtyska9

I have an X3 and it sounds good for scratch tracks or ideas by itself but in a mix it gets lost pretty easy without some serious tweaking. I took it to jam with a couple of buddies and brought my other pedals as well and I plugged into the pod and one of my friends plugged into my normal pedal chain and it was no contest pedalboard was miles ahead in cut and clarity. My favorite amp model for distortion on it is the engl pball definitely sounds the biggest add a second amp model with some high end cut and you would probably have a pretty killer tone.

Richard

Richard