News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The next evolution - important annoucement

Started by madbean, May 26, 2011, 04:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

madbeanpedals is going to evolve into its next iteration very soon. This means many new original projects of my own design, updated classics (including some that have not been available as DIY projects before), and some modified, improved versions of existing designs. I'm very excited about taking this direction, and I think it will help evolve the business of madbeanpedals. I hope it will also excite this little community we have to try out new things and also have more opportunity to give its input into where this beautiful monstrosity is headed.

This also means its time to start drawing down on some of the existing clone projects. Specifically, I intend to let the current stock of some of the manufactured boards expire. I also do not plan on doing straight up clones of currently manufactured "boutique" type effects any longer. While this is a somewhat nebulous label, I think most people here understand what I'm getting at. And, this doesn't mean I won't release something that I can make interesting modifications to, or offer an improved design, as is the case with the LaVache most recently. At the same time, I have little interest in straight up clones anymore.

It's important to convey that as madbeanpedals grows, so does its profile and so does the risk of pissing off the wrong people. And, I'm taking a bit of heat right now because of this. I've taken a lot of care in setting ground rules in terms of restricting the use of the materials to the realm of DIY. While the vast majority of people understand and abide by this, there are a few that have taken advantage of it in ways I would prefer them not to. This is not an admonishment of any specific customer or member here in any way. Rather, it's an indicator to me that the model I'm trying to develop this business around isn't perfect, and needs to be tweaked. Any negative reflection on madbeanpedals by the DIY community or beyond is my own failure and no one else.

So, rather than trying to continue to walk a very fine line which I've been on for some time, it just seems a lot easier to change course a bit. This does not mean that a bunch of projects will "disappear" overnight. It only means that I'm going to be much more selective about the things I offer for sale.

To give everyone an idea of what to expect, this is the list of PCBs that I will be letting go of once the current stock expires:

Firebomb, Slambox, Boomstick, Sabertooth, Zombii, Macheen, Poindexter, Aristocrat, Darkside, Serendipity, Sunking and the Yellow Shark.

Additionally, the Dig Dug, Quasar and Mysterioso projects have been canceled. Others may be added to this list, but I have not made any final decisions. I do intend to develop a sequencer project like the Dig Dug. It just won't be a clone.

I have a decent amount of stock left on the ones mentioned above, so there's no need to rush and buy anything. This is not a sales tactic. It's just a warning that once they are gone, they are gone for good.

Anyway, I welcome any feedback that members here have to offer. I do hope that people understand that I have good reasons for changing course, and that I don't make drastic changes without a lot of thought and planning. I hope I do not lose customers or members in the process, of course. But, I also hope that we continue to grow together and make this place fun and exciting for everyone!

Cheers,
Brian

raulduke

I can totally understand this decision. It will give you a clean conscience with your business I guess which is very important.

I also think there are enough existing designs, along with your new ones, that can be tweaked and tailored to get great sounds without treading on the toes of any boutique makers.

If this is your business and your sole means of income then it stands to reason that you don't want to be rubbing other people who make a living out of making pedals up the wrong way.

Anyway, I don't know about everyone else, but it seems that the mystique around boutique pedals has kind of evaporated in the past few years. I think guitar players/musicians now realise that what they are actually paying for is the build quality and attention to detail of boutique pedals, not some mysterious, secret, 'mojo' ingredient. Therefore I think (hope?) that things may calm down with people wanting clones of specific pedals, and may be more open to other options.

There are certain boutique pedal makers who I don't really feel any sympathy for with the cloning issues as I think they are charging way too much already (I won't mention any names), but there are also manufacturers (Skreddy, Catalinbread, Subdecay, Earthquaker Devices etc.) who seem like decent people, creating decent designs, and are selling their stuff for a reasonable price. Its these guys that I don't like to imagine are missing out due to other people selling clones of their stuff.

Ang3lus

this change is somewhat welcome, would be more interesting to see how things go.

on another note though, cancelling the darkside and sunking is bad(IMO) because they are GREAT sounding pedals, on their own, they are much different than anything i've ever tried and i don't think you should retire them.

petesz

awesome. i really respect madbeanpedals for continually evolving. and i can see why you would make this change. i really look forward to it!
it is a shame about the sunking, its such a nice sounding circuit, but im glad i got to build my own while i still could :)

aziltz

cheers for more original designs.  I think brian is a great designer!

plesur

Here's a thumbs up for more original designs from me too.

It is a shame about the Sunking but if the build documents are still going to be there at least you can etch your own board.

k.rock!

Dude, I admire your work ethic, passion and hard work for the DIY community.

I think you're making the right decision and taking a leap into an unknown realm of new things that I know will transform all of us for the better.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my end-goal on participating on the DIY community is to be able to learn how these things work and eventually DESIGN my own. Not to live all my life building other people's stuff.

That being said, I think Brian is enabling all of us to reach that goal and he has already started with this. (The open-source Tube Screamer project for example)

Brian, like I said, I really admire you for making all of this happen for us and I honestly cannot wait to see what the future of Madbean will be. It's gonna be INTENSE....

THANKS BRIAN!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

cjkbug

I had a feeling this was coming based on the evolution of the text on the projects page, disclaimer, etc... I think a lot of us in the hobby are outgrowing "clones" right along with you Bean.
     I think This change is only going to be good for you us and the hobby itself.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

G.G.

I think you're making the right decision.  You already have established a rep for high quality, so it's time to start making your own mark. Personally, I would rather build a cool project that's somewhat unique & customized. Looking forward to your new stuff!! I like new.  :)

gtr2

No surprise to me...

I'm glad to see you take on the new direction and I for one will continue to support what's going on here!

Onward and upwards!   ;D

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mjcyates

QuoteI don't know about the rest of you guys, but my end-goal on participating on the DIY community is to be able to learn how these things work and eventually DESIGN my own. Not to live all my life building other people's stuff.

What He Said!

Haberdasher

Steering in this new direction is all but inevitable.  It's very exciting, and I can't wait for all the cool new madbean projects!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

JakeFuzz

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 26, 2011, 10:04:13 AM
Steering in this new direction is all but inevitable.  It's very exciting, and I can't wait for all the cool new madbean projects!

+1, I think you have great judgment on what changes will sound good. Does this mean the May 30th batch of Sunking's is cancelled? I ordered a bunch of parts for mine last weekend.

madbean

Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 26, 2011, 10:10:23 AM
Quote from: Haberdasher on May 26, 2011, 10:04:13 AM
Steering in this new direction is all but inevitable.  It's very exciting, and I can't wait for all the cool new madbean projects!

+1, I think you have great judgment on what changes will sound good. Does this mean the May 30th batch of Sunking's is cancelled? I ordered a bunch of parts for mine last weekend.

Thanks!

The incoming Sunkings are not canceled. But they are presumably the last to be stocked. There might be a pretty nice sale coming to MBP here in a few days, too :)

culturejam

I think this is a great idea and a great new direction, Brian.  :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects