News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The next evolution - important annoucement

Started by madbean, May 26, 2011, 04:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

I fully understand how it turns out, and I'll still be there checking the forum daily, and ordering new crazy stuff  ;)
Btw I hope you'll sell the fuzz board with mounted jacks and perf board  you've shown one day, to develop our own projects. Like Kaleb said I'd be proud to post my own layout one day in the member projects section  :)

jtn191

+1 to what they all said before.
I noticed the recent addition of "TM)"'s to your project page, which made me think "did he get a complaint from a company?"

One thing I did enjoy about the previous format was the ability to pick "flavors" based on big names and guitar demo videos. But I'm super excited about your announcement  :D I'll ask the question no one else has: when? (specifically the mobius, and organ donor/ugly face)

intrigued by this sale...I kicked myself for not throwing in a MBP sticker with my recent order--plus I had bad timing  :'(

sgmezei

I feel ya. I placed an order yesterday..... but its all good as I am more than happy to place another.

Congrats to Brian for moving forward and growing/evolving. I cant wait to hear more of your designs.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I don't think anything you said is unreasonable in any way. It's too bad people are giving you trouble as your clearly not doing this to rip anyone off and get rich. But that means a new door is opening and more madbean designs is always great news to my ear! We have a great community going here and I believe everyone will support you, especially with big new steps! Keep up the great work Brian! Can't wait to see what you got in store for us  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

I'll certainly miss some of those projects! Looks like I'll have to try my own hand at a few layouts...

Thanks for the update Brian.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

maysink

Ahh the elusive fabb'd Mysterioso! That thing is more rare than bigfoot! Here's a quote from an old Sandman comic book:

"Um, what's the name of the word for things not being the same always? You know, I'm sure there is one. Isn't there? There must be a word for it ... the thing that lets you know time is happening. Is there a word?"

"Change."

Looking forward to the new shizz, Brian!
[nothing to see here]
-e

Myramyd

I think with this new change in direction my advice would be do do some good demos of the unique/new projects. You could even ask us builders to do them. I think that will be invaluable for helping sell them. Right now we can easily pull up a demo of a pedal that is a clone on YouTube but, when you see a new project it's harder to really "want/need" to buy it unless you have a good handle on what it is and does.

Like most people have wanted a Sunking because we know what it is and how hard/expensive the original is to get. Something that really can drive that G.A.S. factor.

The only thing I worry about is being able to stay afloat moving forward if all the "clones" are gone, as I think that's what draws some people in initially. Hopefully the more "classic" circuits will stay around longer. I totally understand not wanting to carry current production clone boards though. It is a fine line on some of those--the ones you mention I can easily see why they would be pulled.

Right now, I think yours is the best place to buy PCB projects in general and I will be honest that so far I have only bought "clone" boards, mainly because I know what to expect. That doesn't mean I won't buy new unique projects now that I know what I'm doing. But, that brought me here and I think for a newbie, seeing a bunch of unique projects may not necessarily bring them in the door. But if they had some good demos I think it would make more people want them because they couldn't get them anywhere else.

I'm sure you have a better handle on what sells and what the community is that buys your boards than I do. Just wanted to offer my honest thoughts.

J

madbean

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. In response to some points brought up here...

Without going into detail, the decision was made based on some complaints/threats that were made to me. While I have already resolved the matter, the decision to discontinue some projects is my own and was not a result of anything other than my desire to avoid further entanglements.

For the most part, all the conversations I've had with different pedal manufacturers over the last couple years have been good ones, and in cases where requests were made I always complied. I've remained professional and courteous in those interactions, and emphasized the nature of what goes on here is DIY and not at all about hurting anyone. Of course, some people are not going to see it that way, and that cannot be helped. But, in my defense, I have tried to lead by example by sticking to my own ideals, i.e. not selling clone pedals in any sort of commercial context and further by creating an actual environment of learning and education.

But, I'm not hard-headed and it's clear that "the writing is on the wall" to grow and change this place a bit. If not, I might start having to spend a lot of time dealing with hateful emails, threats, blah blah. And that will jeopardize the work I've done (and the large amount of money I've invested) to make MBP a reality. And also make the work a whole lot less fun, too.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I have to say about it. There is still a good stock of the soon-to-be-discontinued PCBs and I will have a pretty rad sale posted here in a couple of days. No one will miss out if there is a project they still want to try.

You can also expect a deluge pretty soon of new projects. I'm nearing completion on a good five or six, including the Univibe, Electric Mistress, Dipthonizer, a new delay, and a couple others.

cjkbug

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

redbean

Quote from: madbean on May 27, 2011, 09:16:30 AM
... I have tried to lead by example by sticking to my own ideals, i.e. not selling clone pedals in any sort of commercial context and further by creating an actual environment of learning and education.

I'm behind you 100%, and eager to learn.  ;)

There is still a good stock of the soon-to-be-discontinued PCBs and I will have a pretty rad sale posted here in a couple of days. No one will miss out if there is a project they still want to try.

You can also expect a deluge pretty soon of new projects. I'm nearing completion on a good five or six, including the Univibe, Electric Mistress, Dipthonizer, a new delay, and a couple others.

If it's not too greedy sounding, I'll take one of everything.  ;D

THREE CHEERS FOR BRIAN!!!
es là-bas!!

aflynt

Vibe would be awesome. Especially if it was smaller than the other vibe boards for sale elsewhere.

-Aaron

P.S. - I understand where you're coming from with discontinuing the clones. Life is too short to have to deal with that kind of unpleasantness.

TheCobbenator

It makes me glad I got in here when I did! If for nothing else, it has shown me that the builds Brian puts out are not complete clones because they may even sound better than the originals. That being said, this guy is going to continue to put out killer stuff!

Also I'm def going to buy a sun king or 2 as I really want to try it!! 'Can't wait for the electric mistress!

Thanks for everything that everyone has contributed so far into this fantastic hobby lifestyle!

-Justin

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm ready as can be! Honestly this is the most exciting news to me yet.
Are you still gonna have the documents available for people who wanna try these older projects once you stop selling the boards?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

madbean

Quote from: aflynt on May 27, 2011, 10:31:49 AM
Vibe would be awesome. Especially if it was smaller than the other vibe boards for sale elsewhere.

-Aaron

There actually might be two vibe projects. One for a 125B and another for either a wah shell or 1590BB :) They will most likely have somewhat different features.

aflynt

Quote from: madbean on May 27, 2011, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: aflynt on May 27, 2011, 10:31:49 AM

-Aaron

There actually might be two vibe projects. One for a 125B and another for either a wah shell or 1590BB :) They will most likely have somewhat different features.

Awesome!

-Aaron