News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ever regretted selling a pedal?

Started by drolo, January 08, 2015, 04:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

Surely you have owned and resold more pedals than you would care to remember but have you ever regretted parting with one to the point of buying another one?

I have recently bought a Memory Man with Hazarai again. I had owned one for a few months some years ago and sold it as I could not really get a good use out of it (and also partly because I was convinced I would never want to use a digital delay .. cork sniffing hmm hmm ...) I am having so much fun with it now :-)

The only other pedal I ever regretted is a DOD FX-17 Wah/Volume. I can't even remember why I sold it. Perhaps needed money. It's such a nifty pedal though, small and with a 5v CV output. The Wah circuit was nothing to write home about but definitely usable. I would love to get another one for it's size and to control CV pedals ...
They pop up on ebay regularly but for ridiculously high prices ... I'll keep watching ...

96ecss

I've sold some pedals that I regret, even though I have not bought them again. These were all sold before I started building pedals in 2006. I couldn't justify paying the high price for one of these now.

Boss DM-2
Vintage EH Deluxe Memory Man
Dave Fox Captain Coconut 2

Dave

Tremster

I recently sold my Formula #5 build, just ordered parts to build another.

gtr2

Probably only my El Cap delay...even though I could easily buy another...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimilee

More times than I care to admit. The worst was trading s guitar, but it managed to get it back about a year later.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

drezdn

I have a tendency to binge and purge with pedal purchases, so it happens to me pretty often. There are several pedals where I've bought one, sold it, and bought another one. I think there are even a few I've done it multiple times.

The one I miss the most though is my Green Russian Big Muff. I know I could get close to the sound with a DIY build, but that case looked cool as heck. Plus, I couldn't get one for less than twice what I paid for mine now.

flanagan0718

There are 2 that I absolutely regret parting with. One I have bought and sold 3 or 4 times now, I just always come back to it. I own one now and will definitely hold to it. It is the Ibanez DE-7. I don't know why but I love the way the Echo section of this pedal is voiced. The second is the Line 6 DL-4. I had modded this pedal Heavily and loved it, but, I needed some cash and you all know how the story goes. I will get another DL-4 hopefully soon and mod the hell out of it again but until then. Below is the demo video I did for the Line 6 pedal.

Betty Wont

I stupidly sold off my first pedals when I got married the first time to a gal who didn't like my noise. That marriage didn't last long but when I got back into gear I missed the DOD MEAT BOX I sold the most. I still haven't been able to replace it. I also sold off some gear a few years ago to fund a Bass VI purchase and got rid of my Devi Ever Bit Mangler joystick fuzz. I miss it enough that I'm saving up for a new one.

madbean

Not a pedal, but one of my guitars. My Ibanez s540 which I sold to pay my rent in the 90's. I still look for it on eBay. Someday I will get it back...it has a very distinctive chip on it.

dropanchor812

I miss my first real pedal (or pedal that wasn't a plastic multi-digital POS made by ZOOM) which was a block letter Phase 90.  As a 15 year old who only had a bass it was something I really didn't need at the time and I was an idiot and sold it.  I think about getting rid of my Rat all the time since I don't really love the sound of it and it's crazy noisy, but it was my first dirt box so I'mma holdin' on. 

selfdestroyer

Quote from: gtr2 on January 08, 2015, 05:33:37 AM
Probably only my El Cap delay...even though I could easily buy another...

THis for me also, I sold my El Cap when the Timeline was released to help fund it. Little did I know I could not cop the same sounds with the Timeline due to the multihead settings of the El Cap. One day I will pick up another.

Cody

micromegas

Quote from: drolo on January 08, 2015, 04:28:19 AM

The only other pedal I ever regretted is a DOD FX-17 Wah/Volume. I can't even remember why I sold it. Perhaps needed money. It's such a nifty pedal though, small and with a 5v CV output. The Wah circuit was nothing to write home about but definitely usable. I would love to get another one for it's size and to control CV pedals ...
They pop up on ebay regularly but for ridiculously high prices ... I'll keep watching ...

I just got a broken one for 15€. It is on its way to me so I don't know if it is repairable
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

GrindCustoms

The Boss OC2 i had when i was 16 years old... ...should have never sell that.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

drolo

Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 08, 2015, 06:10:13 AM

very cool mods :-)

Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 08, 2015, 02:33:10 PM
The Boss OC2 i had when i was 16 years old... ...should have never sell that.
true, miss mine too now that you remind me of it. Luckily these can still be found at a fair price (or you can build one)

Quote from: micromegas on January 08, 2015, 02:27:44 PM
I just got a broken one for 15€. It is on its way to me so I don't know if it is repairable
suertudo :-)
I'm sure there should be nothing that can't be repaired or replaced in this
(but if you ever give up, let me know  ;D )

gordo

I'm a dusty old fart so have been thru a ton of pedals but the ones I miss the most were stolen.  I sold a Boss CE-1 for peanuts and still regret it.  Stolen ones were an original Dyna-Comp, Univibe with the controller pedal and box, DMM, original Small Stone, and original Phase 90.

CE-1 and Univibe I've never been able to replicate but have come close.  All else I have acceptable substitutes.  On the plus side, I can build stuff I could never have afforded (or ignored) back in the day...Mutron III, A/DA Flanger etc...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?