News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deadringer 2 -bad drilling template.

Started by madbean, January 24, 2015, 11:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

It was brought to my attention that the Deadringer 2 1590BB drilling template is basically a dud. I had the PCB and jacks positioned incorrectly in order to make things fit. While I had drilled the template up weeks ago until a couple of days ago I had not completed the assembly due to messing up my original PCB build. My apologies to anyone who used the template and had a problem with the fit.

I have successfully fit everything in with the template but I had to do some work-arounds which may or may not be possible for others to do.
1 - Overdrill the input/ouput jack holes to 1/2" (this will require using a locking washer on the outside of the enclosure) and use small frame jacks.
2 - Overdrill the pot/rotary switch holes by a couple of stops to move the PCB closer to the bottom of the enclosure.
3 - Use mini SPDT switches (can't remember if I suggested this already in the build doc or not).
4 - Replace C26 with a 10uF 16v tant and bend it to one side (16v is sufficient here b/c this is for the Vb rail).

Simple, right? Not. Even still, you will see where I moved my drill spot for the output jack over to the left a bit already.

I have some of those jacks which I am happy to send a pair to anyone who needs them to make their existing drilled enclosure work. I have maybe two of the mini switches, so not much of those to go around. If you already drilled your enclosure and would prefer to replace it and start over, PM me and I will reimburse you $10 for a new enclosure. I can do this for up to 15 people (obviously you will have to have ordered a DR2 PCB before today!)

In the meantime, I have replaced the drilling template with two new ones. One is side mounted jacks and one top mounted jacks. These new templates should be okay as I have moved things around to accommodate the jacks and PCB. But, I still recommend using the small frame jacks if you do the top mounted version. Regular sized SPDT should be okay for either. Alternatively, get a 1590BBTall (also called 125BB) which is the 1590BB with an extra half inch or so of height. If using the 1590BBTall, use the "side mount" template in the doc and simply reposition the drill holes for the jacks further up the enclosure wall. Should be straight-forward.

The two new drill templates have been added to the build doc: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Deadringer2/Deadringer2.pdf

Here is a pic of my jury-rigged build.

Luke51411

I was not affected by this issue but I just have to say that the customer service presented here and the other sellers affiliated with the forum is top notch and probably the best I've experienced with any business period. Keep up the excellent work!

brucer

Quote from: Luke51411 on January 24, 2015, 02:08:37 PM
I was not affected by this issue but I just have to say that the customer service presented here and the other sellers affiliated with the forum is top notch and probably the best I've experienced with any business period. Keep up the excellent work!

+10.  You guys are awesome, really.

naterowell

Thanks !  I'm going to try to redrill today.... children and spouse permitting.  I'll give a report when i'm done.  I'm going to do the side mount drill.
When soldering, always remember to wear eye protection... and pants.

naterowell

I redrilled the enclosure.  other than a user inflicted error with where i decided to put the LEDs it seems to fit nicely.  I have an off-center hole....

My only feedback is to be careful what DC jack you use.  It can still be a little tight if you don't use a small one.  The one i'm using just barely clears the circuit board. (Depending on how you turn it)  it'll be interesting wiring it up, but shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, Brian, for the revision!  i'll have this thing up and running in the next day or two.

When soldering, always remember to wear eye protection... and pants.