News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The useless pedal list

Started by micromegas, January 29, 2015, 04:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Quote from: pickdropper on January 29, 2015, 10:38:41 AM
Cody, that was exactly the part I was thinking off.  Pretty fast on the Photoshop there.  Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha I was actually doing a logo for an event here at work.. so it was open already.

Cody

Betty Wont

For me, anything subtle or designed to emulate an amp or amp gain are the definition of useless pedals. Compression, overdrive and distortion pedals make no sense to me unless you don't own an amp and are headphone jamming or direct recording. Most people who use pedals also have an amp, so what's with all the pedals that do a poorer job than the amp, and then send it to that amp? Begby FTW BTW!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Torgoslayer on January 29, 2015, 10:51:00 AM
For me, anything subtle or designed to emulate an amp or amp gain are the definition of useless pedals. Compression, overdrive and distortion pedals make no sense to me unless you don't own an amp and are headphone jamming or direct recording. Most people who use pedals also have an amp, so what's with all the pedals that do a poorer job than the amp, and then send it to that amp? Begby FTW BTW!

I unfortunately do not agree with this at all. Just the ability to change the effect order on the fly alone is a perfect example what an amp can not do on its own. I have not owned an amp with a high gain channel in over 15 years just for the reason that I would never use it and would rely on pedals for my achieved sound.

Cody

juansolo

Own the first, have a clone of the second... *blushes*

But the Miku is too fucked up for me.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

RobA

Quote from: juansolo on January 29, 2015, 11:16:26 AM

Own the first, have a clone of the second... *blushes*

But the Miku is too fucked up for me.

Um, I want a Rainbow Machine now.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Cortexturizer

I want that guitar. That Reverend is just perfect!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

micromegas

Quote from: RobA on January 29, 2015, 10:16:40 AM
I can't say much about the pedal itself, but the Vocaloid synthesis stuff it's based on is pretty impressive. My son had some demo software of it awhile back and I was pretty blown away by what can be done with it. I do remember seeing the announcement for the pedal in Japan and kinda thinking "what?" Still, I don't think the video is really showing it to its best abilities. I thought that you could enter your own phrases with a computer or smartphone link. And, tracking depends on what the intended usage is. So, the pedal may be better than it seems. I will say though that I've got absolutely zero use for it.

Here's a link to the Wiki article about the technology behind the thing, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocaloid
Yep, I've been doing some research, as it was developed by the Pompeu i Fabra University and I applied to their master. The dsp work involved is impressive.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

blearyeyes

I am old enough to pass on this impression:

When I was a young guitar player in the 60s, I walked into a small music store on Balboa Island in California. The owner was excited about a new pedal that he had just received and asked me if I wanted to try it. So I sat down and he set me up. He told me to just rock the foot pedal back and forth. The guitar said Wah Wah out of the amp and I started laughing! I said this thing is the most useless piece of crap I have ever seen! Who would want to make their guitar say WAH WAH!.... Ha ha ha ha!
He said just you wait, one of these new guitar guys like Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix will use it on a record and they will start selling.... I responded.. NEVER HAPPEN IN A MILLION YEARS!  Ha ha ha!

"In a white room, with black curtains, at the station............"

Betty Wont

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 29, 2015, 11:13:10 AM

I unfortunately do not agree with this at all. Just the ability to change the effect order on the fly alone is a perfect example what an amp can not do on its own. I have not owned an amp with a high gain channel in over 15 years just for the reason that I would never use it and would rely on pedals for my achieved sound.

Cody
I figured this would get some controversy. I use tons of pedals, and put them in any order, either before the gain (amp) or after (effects loop). And can switch their order on the fly. My comment was geared towards pedals that emulate the basic sounds of a tube amp, (compression,OD, and Distortion) and then are run INTO said tube amp. Which you would logically have if you are looking for "tube" sounds. Of course this doesn't apply to a PA, or clean ss amp users. My Tiny Terror naturally compresses, does Blues Driver, Tube Screamer, Brown Sound, and Rectifier sounds better than any of those transisterized pedals. I just can't think of a pedal in those categories that could improve on what a relatively cheap tube amp can do already.

blearyeyes

Britannia pedal I built makes my tube amp sound very Voxey. Tube amp can't do it on it's own.....Jangle me some Voxness!

RobA

Quote from: micromegas on January 29, 2015, 11:46:16 AM
[...]
Yep, I've been doing some research, as it was developed by the Pompeu i Fabra University and I applied to their master. The dsp work involved is impressive.
That's a good program. I've seen tons of good work come out of there over the years.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Muadzin

Quote from: Torgoslayer on January 29, 2015, 12:16:44 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 29, 2015, 11:13:10 AM

Cody
I figured this would get some controversy. I use tons of pedals, and put them in any order, either before the gain (amp) or after (effects loop). And can switch their order on the fly. My comment was geared towards pedals that emulate the basic sounds of a tube amp, (compression,OD, and Distortion) and then are run INTO said tube amp. Which you would logically have if you are looking for "tube" sounds. Of course this doesn't apply to a PA, or clean ss amp users. My Tiny Terror naturally compresses, does Blues Driver, Tube Screamer, Brown Sound, and Rectifier sounds better than any of those transisterized pedals. I just can't think of a pedal in those categories that could improve on what a relatively cheap tube amp can do already.

I get your point if you have a good amp and are satisfied with it. Me, I don't give a rat's ass about perfect tube sound. I would rather have a few pedals that can emulate a few good amps, like a Marshall, and play that into my non-Marshall amp rather then haul those amps along. Hell, I'm not even hauling any amps along anymore. Nowadays my sound is dirt pedals into an AMT F1 preamp into EHX Magnum 44 poweramp pedals into a random cabinet. Or live straight into a mixing desk. Because I'm done hauling amps around.

But hey, I'm also the guy who thinks compressors are useless.  ;)

Willybomb

Dunno that I'd pay for it, but I'd build the vero...

Cortexturizer

Quote from: midwayfair on January 29, 2015, 07:07:09 AM
There is no useless technology, only a failure of imagination.
There's no annoying people, there's only lack of tolerance? :D
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Mojo Fandangle

I'm sure there's japanese schoolgirl fetishist buskers who find this pedal extremely useful.
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally