News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD!

Started by jtn191, June 02, 2011, 11:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

I snagged this 12 string (Yamaha FG-460S-12A) off evil-bay --delivered today  ;D
After a bit of Byrds and Beatles tunes, my fingers are freaked out and think they've got double vision!

nzCdog

8) Nice one! Solid spruce-top? What're the back/sides made of?  More details required!

jtn191

yep solid spruce top--sides and back are Indian Rosewood laminate, apparently made in the 90s. Sounds pretty jangly and twangy. Yamaha seems like they make good stuff for the money

Reason for buying a twelve string?: I saw a guy string a 12 s. with only 6 strings! Even if the 12-string gimmick wears off, you can have both!   ...can't wait to play through pedals

jball85

nice and yeah yamaha is pretty underrated if ya ask me. Do they make specialized pickups for 12 strings?

stecykmi

the Yamaha FG series in general are pretty underrated, especially the older ones. you can quote me on this, i won't be surprised at all if prices for FG's from the 70's-80's skyrocket in the next few years.

pandadandan

Excellent score.  They're lovely in both looks and sound.

I have an FG-200 from 1972.  Fortunately they're often cheap in Japan; I got mine for 7800 yen (about $80)

jtn191

dang pandadan, I wanna go to Japan for instrument and electronics collecting!
I have no clue what kind of pickup the seller threw in for free, but if anyone does I'd like to know

jtn191

...strikes again!
Ugh this is admitedly selfish but I couldn't resist picking this one up from a GFS clearance sale
It's been a short first date but...I'm in love!

nzCdog

Serious P90 goodness right there.
I hope you both live happily ever after ;)

dwstanford

Quote from: jtn191 on June 04, 2011, 09:56:04 PM
I have no clue what kind of pickup the seller threw in for free, but if anyone does I'd like to know

I have one of those pickups as well.  The one i have actually has a volume and tone control section that you can stick to the side of the guitar.  Interrestingly enough, i got it for free also.  From my wife's grandfather when he was giving me an old mandolin to see if i could fix it.  He said " hey, do you want this old pickup?  He used to use it on an acoustic in the 70's, so its at least that old.  It's pretty shitty sounding in general, but i used it a couple of times run through a distorted tape recorder preamp to get a rolling stones jumpin jack flash / street fighting man sort of sound. 

jtn191

yeah it really sucks. Real thin and hollow sounding, anytime I turn the gain up enough to hear anything, I get feedback. the seller said it was a $70 value...

rjkanejr

Anyone else have experience with GFS/Xaviere guitars?  I have several pickups and love them but have been reluctant to pickup the guitars.  You always read teh reviews and then buy a guitar and the reviews are great but the guitar actually sucks.  I recently picked up a 1990 MIM strat that I made sure I PLAYED before buying it.  So.... I am hoping maybe some of yinz out there can give me soem feedback on Xaviere.  I am looking at their strats and a hollowbody.  Saw that Guitar World just did a good review of one of the hollowbody.  The review was good and the guitar sounded great in the video.