News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Couple issues with mudbunny/green bean

Started by HailToTheBlues, February 21, 2015, 08:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
So i finished a two-in-one pedal, with a green bean and a green russian mudbunny, and i'm experiencing a couple things that i want to ask if they are normal. So, i used two red leds and three 1n914 for the green bean clipping, and one of the issues is that i hear a big volume drop when i change from the red led's to the 1n914 clipping, is this normal?

The other issue is that i used two identical green leds and resistors for the on/off of the pedals, and the green led from the mudbunny is not as bright as the green bean's. The mudbunny is the 2013 version, the one that doesn't have a led spot on the pcb, so it is wired as the standard wiring diagram. On the other hand the green bean has a "led" spot for the positive lead of the led, so is this why it is brighter? Or is something wrong with it?

Best regards 

mgwhit

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on February 21, 2015, 08:59:17 AM
So i finished a two-in-one pedal, with a green bean and a green russian mudbunny, and i'm experiencing a couple things that i want to ask if they are normal. So, i used two red leds and three 1n914 for the green bean clipping, and one of the issues is that i hear a big volume drop when i change from the red led's to the 1n914 clipping, is this normal?

Totally normal.  LEDs have a much higher forward voltage than 1n914s.  As long as you like the sound, don't worry about it.  That's why you have a volume knob.  If you don't like the sound or the volume difference is really bugging you, that's a great place to socket and try LEDs with lower forward voltage or anything else really.

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on February 21, 2015, 08:59:17 AM
The other issue is that i used two identical green leds and resistors for the on/off of the pedals, and the green led from the mudbunny is not as bright as the green bean's. The mudbunny is the 2013 version, the one that doesn't have a led spot on the pcb, so it is wired as the standard wiring diagram. On the other hand the green bean has a "led" spot for the positive lead of the led, so is this why it is brighter? Or is something wrong with it?

Sorry, I've got nothing on this.  If anything, I would expect the Green Bean to be slightly less bright (although probably not noticeably) since the LED circuit follows the polarity protection diode which drops a very small amount of voltage.  Perhaps one of the LEDs is out-of-spec.  If you want to play with this, mock up the two slightly different LED circuits on a breadboard and tweak the current-limiting resistor values until you have a good match.  Good luck!

HailToTheBlues

Thanks for the answers. About the leds, i think i'm going to swap them to see if the problem is the led or the circuit, i'll update the post then. Cheers!