News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stability for soldering switches to PCB?

Started by Justus, February 17, 2015, 01:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justus

I'm building a testing rig, and have found that it's somewhat difficult to solder the DPDT switches to the PCB while making sure that everything is (and stays) square.  I use a lump of bluetack for everything else and generally don't have any problems, but the switches are so oddly shaped on top that it's difficult.  As of right now, my Osc/Guitar switch is a little cockeyed, as it apparently shifted to one side after I pressed it into the bluetack and before I soldered the lugs.

What methods do you use to make sure those switches stay nice and flat against the PCB after you flip it over to solder in place?

davent

Solder one lug let cool. Next you reheat/melt that lug's solder and align the switch with the pcb let cool and solder the other lugs.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jkokura

I actually use an enclosure that has holes in it. Either the enclosure the PCB is meant for, or another that has a hole that works.

Put the part in the hole so that the part is on the outside. Put the PCB on the part (Switch, pot, whatever), and hold it in place with your fingers until you get the soldering iron ready. Solder it in, then hold the PCB with your fingers until the solder has cooled enough that it won't move.

Makes it easier if you have multiple parts in place. For instance, with the testing rig, if you pre drill the enclosure first, you can just mount all the switches in reverse order on the outside of the enclosure. Get the PCB on there, and even soldering one lug the PCB will stay in place and you can just whip through soldering the rest on there.
Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Betty Wont

i install the switches and pots in the enclosure in thier final position. then apply the board to all leads and solder it up. undo the face nuts and it comes out whole and perfectly aligned and ready to test.

pickdropper

I use a Panavise or a machinist's vise to hold the switches.  Very useful things, those vises.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper