News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Pedalboard (Case yet to be built)

Started by irmcdermott, February 23, 2015, 12:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

I had a PT-3, which was plenty big, until I bought a Big Sky (and completed the Strymon "big three"). They took up too much room for me to have everything I wanted on there, plus, I wanted to completely redo my setup anyway with a whole new gain section. So... in the true spirit of DIY, I decided to build one. It's roughly PT-Pro Size (not quite as long, but slightly deeper).

Super fun project using oak for the frame and Baltic birch for the top. IEC inlet, locking jacks, etc. I'm really proud of it.

I'm in the process of designing a case for it. I'm leaning toward a hinged lid vs. a lift off (since I put handles on the board)... but even as I'm typing this, I think I just changed my own mind, haha. We'll see. I'm open to Ideas if you all have them, or have built them before, any input is welcome.

Here is a "in progress" picture. Still a lot of work to be done, still some building to finish. I've done some more since this picture was taken too.

brejna

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

Willybomb

I've probably missed the build reports, but what are the four pedals up in the right hand corner and how did you finish them?  They look like vinyl car window sticker type things (but are probably laser etched..)

The pedalboard look great, btw.

irmcdermott

Quote from: Willybomb on February 23, 2015, 01:24:26 PM
I've probably missed the build reports, but what are the four pedals up in the right hand corner and how did you finish them?  They look like vinyl car window sticker type things (but are probably laser etched..)

The pedalboard look great, btw.

You didn't miss the build reports. I had to build these up super fast in order to play at church this Sunday, haha. So I didn't take pictures and post, and get them all wired up. But currently this is what I've on there.

- Squints (from The Sandlot, top right) - Afterlife compressor with Jon's Ghost Note mod, and a little mod I did to take a little "bite" off because one of my bridge pickups was a little bright through it.
- Turntable - RC Booster
- Woodsman (ax/log one) - LaVache
- Batman - Timmy

All those decals were done with the PulsarProFX system. Took me a long time, but I've finally got the hang of it and usually get good results.

playpunk

This looks awesome! Worth it? Not worth it?

What are you gonna do with the pt-pro? :)
"my legend grows" - playpunk

irmcdermott

Quote from: playpunk on February 23, 2015, 01:51:57 PM
This looks awesome! Worth it? Not worth it?

What are you gonna do with the pt-pro? :)

I think it's definitely worth it. It was a fun build. And it's always rewarding when you build something on your own.

I didn't have a PT-Pro, i had a PT-3. I sold the actual pedalboard to a friend....  but if anyone has a need for a PT-3 sized flight case, let me know. i have one I can't use.

jimilee

That's beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

micromegas

Wow, impressive!

I am curious about what method are you going to follow for the case: rack/amp suitcase type or Salvage Custom Shop style (on which the pedalboard itself is one side of the suitcase)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

irmcdermott

Quote from: micromegas on February 23, 2015, 02:12:17 PM
Wow, impressive!

I am curious about what method are you going to follow for the case: rack/amp suitcase type or Salvage Custom Shop style (on which the pedalboard itself is one side of the suitcase)

It will definitely be a case that is independent from the board. It'll either have a lid and tray, or will open up like a chest and i'll pull the board out from the handles.

m-Kresol

that looks slick. Very nice choice of wood.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

micromegas

Quote from: irmcdermott on February 23, 2015, 02:14:18 PM
Quote from: micromegas on February 23, 2015, 02:12:17 PM
Wow, impressive!

It will definitely be a case that is independent from the board. It'll either have a lid and tray, or will open up like a chest and i'll pull the board out from the handles.
Cool! If I were you, I would add a couple of wheels to it, it looks heavy!  :)

If I had your ability in wood crafting, I'll build myself something like this for small venues:

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

irmcdermott

Quote from: micromegas on February 23, 2015, 02:19:22 PM

Cool! If I were you, I would add a couple of wheels to it, it looks heavy!  :)

I definitely plan on casters. I'll post updates as I continue

alanp

I know a guy who welded his pedalboard together (with thin ply for the flat areas.) He added wheels as well :D and a lockable cover to either protect his pedals and stop beered up bogans spilling booze on 'em, or for a Maiden-style footrest while playing.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Jebus

Looks great! I've been thinking about building one too. Current idea is to make it a flight case -type box where pedals are on the cover.. :)