News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any good Audiobooks?

Started by drolo, February 25, 2015, 02:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

Daily I have about 3 hours of commuting by car (sometimes less when I'm lucky...)
A few months ago I started listening to audiobooks and found that it makes the time spent in the car a lot more enjoyable and prevents me from wanting to kill every second driver and curse them and their whole family for the next ten generations ... ;-)

Among others I have been through these:

Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull (the founder of Pixar, very entertaining, despite it being aimed at managers)
The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz
The Lord of the Rings (watch out for those long Elf songs if you are driving, had me dosing off more than once ...)
The Harry Potter series, narrated by Stephen Fry (really nice actually, Stephen Fry is great to listen to and has probably spoiled me to the point of no longer being able to enjoy lesser narrators ...)

Right now I am listening to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which sounds promising.

Any of you guys know some good audiobooks?

micromegas

Quote from: drolo on February 25, 2015, 02:29:55 PM
Daily I have about 3 hours of commuting by car (sometimes less when I'm lucky...)
A few months ago I started listening to audiobooks and found that it makes the time spent in the car a lot more enjoyable and prevents me from wanting to kill every second driver and curse them and their whole family for the next ten generations J
Among others I have been through these:
Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull (the founder of Pixar, very entertaining, despite it being aimed at managers) The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz The Lord of the Rings (watch out for those long Elf songs if you are driving, had me dosing off more than once ...) The Harry Potter series, narrated by Stephen Fry (really nice actually, Stephen Fry is great to listen to and has probably spoiled me to the point of no longer being able to enjoy lesser narrators ...) Right now I am listening to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which sounds promising. Any of you guys know some good audiobooks?

Don't know if the font size change is intentional but it is hilarious indeed. (ok, you edited that...)

I've never listened to an audiobook before but man: " The Hicthiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is an awesome book (and film) and Stephen Fry as a narrator : EPIC.

The film actually made me fell in love with Zooey Deschannel before she became famous.  ;D
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

GermanCdn

I am an avid Audiobook listener

For long stretches, I listen to Tom Clancy novels, main reason is that they're usually 30 hours +, so I buy one book, and I can get a couple of months out of it.  And they're pretty simple story lines, so you don't miss much if you're not really paying attention.

For shorter stretches, I listen to Lee Child/Tess Gerritsen/Kathy Reichs/Greg Iles books.  Typically for road trips with the wife that last 6 - 10 hours in one direction, and they're series novels, so you know the characters and generally know where the story is going.

Best book I've listened to in the last 6 years was Black Cross by Greg Iles.  Listened to it three times.

I'm not much into the fantasy/other world type stuff.  Tried listening to a couple of the True Blood books, they were a tough listen.  The Hunger Games books were a good listen, though they made the movies utter pieces of rubbish.

Bon suggested we download the 50 Shades series.  What absolute junk.  Difference between male and female erotic fiction - there's about 3 minutes of plot and no backstory in male oriented fiction, and there's about 2 minutes of plot and 8 hours of backstory in female oriented fiction.  That, and the 50 Shades stuff sounds like it was written by a 19 year old with a very limited vocabulary, which is that much worse in audiobook format.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

tcpoint

I'm pretty boring but I like to listen to The Great Courses audio books.  My local library has a bunch of them.  Right now I only have a 5 minute commute and it's all back roads.  Haven't flipped off another driver in years.

jkokura

The Wheel of time. It's 14 books long, and each book is perhaps as long as it can be. There's something like 19.2 days worth of audio. That should keep you going for a while. Plus, it's really, really good at some times, and just really good most of the time...

The Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. Especially if you like Science Fiction that actually has something to say, and not just be a story about blowing up aliens.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

I read a lot but don't do many audiobooks.  But I will actually find time to listen to Stephen Fry narrate.  He's fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Justus

A Song of Fire and Ice - GRRM

I was into book four and just stopped for some reason last year.  I haven't really listened to any audio books since.  An occasional podcast, though.  My favorites are Around the Horn and PTI from ESPN.

juansolo

I've just bought this. Used to have it on tape back in the day. Thought'd I'd get up to date and get the additional series I was missing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy-Complete-Radio/dp/0563504196/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424884285&sr=1-5&keywords=hitchhikers+guide+to+the+galaxy

Managed to get a mint set on eBay for about £30.

Utterly brilliant stuff.

EDIT: Ok just noticed you mentioned it in the last line of your post... It'll keep you busy for a few weeks anyhow, there are 14 CDs of it ;)

I'll probably get this also, as the book it's based on is excellent: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Omens-Radio-dramatisation-Dramatisations/dp/1910281913/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424884475&sr=1-1&keywords=good+omens
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

flanagan0718

David,
     I've been listening to audio books for years. I was actually going to start this thread a while a go and never did for what ever reason. Here is what I have listened to.

A Song of Ice and Fire Series (Game of Thrones)- George R. R. Martin - Loved the whole Series
Harry Potter - Loved it
Let The Right One In - John Alvide Lindquist - Great listen
Handling The Undead - John Alvide Lindquist - Great story
World War Z - Max Brooks - Awesome Moc-umentory
The Millennium Trilogy (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) - Sieg Larson - Listened to it 3 times it was that good
The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King - Not like his normal work but still great
The Lesser Dead - Christopher Buhelman - Ok...not great but it was short
Snowblind - Christopher Golden - Fantastic book plus took place in my home town.

That's just off the top of my head. I know there are more I can recomend I'm just not at my home computer right now. PM me if you need any of these. I still have them.

-Mike-

DuctTapeRiot

Love audiobooks, for me it is when I am biking to work.  Stuff I have listened to recently and loved:

- Snow crash - Neil Stephenson. Possibly the best sci fi ever written.
- Neuromancer - William Gibson, also increasable sci fi.
- Downloaded a HUGE collection of Discworld (Terry Pratchett) audio books, must be 20 of them.

My absolute fave is the Harry Potter series. Stephen Fry's narration and character voices were just so freaking good.

alanp

Never heard an audiobook (the drive to work is eight minutes, TOPS), but Terry Pratchett is one of my all time favourite authors (along with Anne McCaffrey.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

flanagan0718

Also The Wayward Pines Series by Blake Crouch is good

juansolo

Quote from: alanp on February 26, 2015, 05:22:24 AM
Never heard an audiobook (the drive to work is eight minutes, TOPS), but Terry Pratchett is one of my all time favourite authors (along with Anne McCaffrey.)

Good Omens was actually a radio play, like Hitchhikers Guide. Slightly different.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

drolo

Thanks for all your suggestions !
I just finished the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. What a great book, was just a bit hard to focus while driving at times when my mind felt like it had to warp a little to try making sense of some of the delightful nonsense ...

add4

3hours a day?? Are you working in Luxembourg or what? Thats a long drive. I have 1.5 hours a day and the audiobooks is a really good Idea. Thanks