News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Grind Custom - Chimarea

Started by foochild, February 27, 2015, 06:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foochild

I am working on the Chimarea and I am have problems finding wiring instructions on the pedal, has anyone put this kit together before?  I got mine from mammoth electronics.

Thanks

mgwhit

Do you just need the Build Document?  I realize that it doesn't have a full wiring diagram, but the footswitch is explained on page 3.  If you don't need a battery, just connect the tip of your input jack to the Input pad, the tip of your output jack to the Output pad, +9V and ground from your power jack to the 9V and G pads.  Then connect the sleeve of one of your jacks (by convention Input, but it doesn't matter) to another one of the G pads -- preferably the one closest to the jack.

If you want a battery, it's slightly more complicated, but you might be able to figure it out by looking at the Madbean Standard Wiring Diagram, which shows how to wire up a true bypass pedal with a 3PDT switch.  Just ignore the footswitch wiring and remember that you're using the board as your central ground point, not the footswitch.  Connect the positive battery wire to the switched lug on the power jack and the battery ground wire to the ring lug of a stereo input jack.  Good luck, and let us know if you have trouble working it out.

Edit: I just noticed that there was an earlier version of this board that was true bypass (i.e. not buffered).  If that's what you've got, just use the Madbean standard wiring diagram.

foochild

Thanks! I have the building diagram and I am certain on the footswitch on how to wire that up, but on the input jack one has three connections and the other jack has two.  Does it matter what pin i select to ground and for the input? Does the jack that has three connections go to anything?  I hope I am explaining myself correctly, sorry if I am butchering the verbiage

jimilee

Are you talking the actual jack itself that you have in your hand that has 3 connections? The board itself has an in and an out and about 3 ground pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

foochild

jimilee

Ah gotcha. Unless you're using a battery, a stereo input jack isn't necessary. Are you using a battery?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mgwhit

Quote from: foochild on February 28, 2015, 07:56:35 AM
on the input jack one has three connections and the other jack has two.  Does it matter what pin i select to ground and for the input? Does the jack that has three connections go to anything?

Yes, it certainly matters which lug you use for input!  The Input has to come from the lug with continuity to the tip of the cable plug.  You can confirm this with a multimeter, or you can just look at the wiring diagram I pointed to.

As for ground on the stereo jack, I suppose that's up to you, but I would recommend you do it like the standard diagram and use the lug connected to the sleeve.  It's convention and anyone looking at your pedal will understand what you've done.  It will also mean that the enclosure is always grounded, whether or not a cable is plugged into the input jack.

foochild

Thanks guys for all the help.  I have everything now wired up and on the footswitch I noticed that Grind Customs shows soldering a resistor on foot switch 4 5 6, have you guys used this method before?

mgwhit

Do you know if you have a version of the Chimaera board that has buffered bypass or one that uses true bypass?  The 2PDT switch with the two resistors is for the buffered bypass version.  If you don't have the S1-S6 pads along the bottom of your PCB, then I think you have one that should use true bypass.  Does your board say "Grind Customs Chimaera", "Chimaera TB v3" or "Chimaera BFD v3" along the bottom?

foochild

It shows the BFD v3.1, I have it wired up now but no sound and the light is not even coming on, I ran it with 9v and I can feel the capacitors heating up but no sound. 

jimilee

Sounds like it's time for pictures of both sides clearly lit

mgwhit

Quote from: foochild on March 03, 2015, 12:32:38 PM
It shows the BFD v3.1, I have it wired up now but no sound and the light is not even coming on, I ran it with 9v and I can feel the capacitors heating up but no sound.

Okay, if it's the BFD, then it's the buffered bypass and should use a 2PDT (or a 3PDT wired like a 2PDT) footswitch with the on-switch resistor wiring as shown in the build doc.  Of course that build doc says v3.  Fingers crossed v3.1 didn't move the resistors to the PCB.

I agree with Jimi -- good (i.e. large, in-focus, well-lit) pictures of both sides of the PCB would be a huge help.  Also, please post the voltages on each pin of your ICs.  Please let us know if you need help with that.  Good luck!

foochild

These are the photos I have so far, I'll keep uploading the ones I have.  I do not have the voltage yet

foochild

foochild