News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Silver Darlings Overdriver

Started by nzCdog, June 10, 2011, 08:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

Hey guys... so many cool builds going on here...

This is my latest project:

The name 'The Silver Darlings' comes from the picture which is a painting by my wife inspired by a book of the same name...  I was going to get her to paint the enclosure, but fell in love with this pic whe I saw it.

The overdrive side of this pedal is a 'Big Box'Clark Gainster clone, 'Handwired' using a turretboard, NOS/High Mojo caps etc etc...  Also hidden away in the enclosure is  Roadrage and a Slambox boost section.  Such a sweet sounding and transparent overdrive, I really fell in love with this circuit when prototyping it on 17V, the Slambox runs into the overdrive so it can really make it sit up and bark if required.

My turret layout is a modified version from here http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=8193&p=86809&hilit=clark+gainster#p86809 Thanks to IVIark of FSB for the inspiration to make it a pedal! 

night-B

I really enjoyed working with tag and turret boards, I'm sure you had fun too!
Congratulate your wife for such a nice painting  ;)

cjkbug

you packed a ton of stuff in there. well planned!
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

That's a very sweet looking pedal. You really crammed it all in there! I really like the blue and red/orange LED combo. And the painting is really visually pleasant.  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

slimtriggers

Myramyd

Sweet job man!

Too bad they don't make extra large "mojo" ICs to go with the turretboard!

But it looks like a little brain that is controlling the whole thing, which is cool.

J

nzCdog

Wow, thanks for all your kind words guys  :)

Quote from: night-B on June 10, 2011, 09:34:32 AM
I really enjoyed working with tag and turret boards, I'm sure you had fun too!
Congratulate your wife for such a nice painting  ;)

Yeah it was great fun to build, had to rework the original layout a tad to spread it out better... and thanks my wife is sooo talented (I a huge fan ;D)  The name 'Silver Darlings' is a very old nickname from the British Isles for Herring fish, hence the fishing boat...

Quote from: Myramyd on June 11, 2011, 01:25:29 AM
Sweet job man!

Too bad they don't make extra large "mojo" ICs to go with the turretboard!

But it looks like a little brain that is controlling the whole thing, which is cool.

J

Thanks man... yeah totally, having a huge IC would be so awesome 8)

redbean

es là-bas!!

nzCdog

stecykmi

great work, i've never seen a IC/tagboard combo like that.

cjkbug

can you fill us in on your capacitor choices.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

nzCdog

Quote from: cjkbug on June 12, 2011, 05:21:10 PM
can you fill us in on your capacitor choices.
Sure thing... The green one is input cap, NOS 'Paper in Oil' from russia, tests within 1%...  The 2n2 is a NOS Philips Mustard cap measures about 2n3... the other yellow one is a silvered mica from smallbear.  All the red ones are polypropylene film, mostly panasonic brand which I got from effectsconnection.  Electrolytes are generic brands...

The 'Clark Gainster' that this is based on uses NOS PIO caps, so I'm 'cheating' by using so much film...  my feeble attempt to compensate for this mojo deficiency is with a touch of mustard  ;D ::)

Thanks for your interest guys :)

jstbrowsin

such an awesome build  8) and a fellow kiwi too, now you really upped the anti eh  ;D

well done mate