News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Little plastic component bags

Started by stevie1556, June 20, 2018, 04:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Brick and mortar store i'd buy loads of stuff from in Toronto whenever i visited, everything would be thrown in one bag, 100's of resistors in multiple values, caps, transistors, ic's, hardware anything and everything. I looked forward to getting home and sitting and sorting & organizing it all, kinda like Christmas morning... sure helped my resistor reading ability.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Betty Wont

There's a pick and grab component store down the street from me that doesn't supply bags. I save mine for going there and labelling in the store.

chromesphere

Quote from: Muadzin on June 21, 2018, 02:45:44 PM
Quote from: chromesphere on June 20, 2018, 06:55:02 PMEven having multiple values of the same component wouldn't be very user friendly either (try sorting through 100 resistors all dumped in the same bag, that's a pain)

That's basically what BYOC did for years. I don't know if they still do this, but whenever I ordered one of their kits I had to spend hours sorting out the resistors and caps.

Oh I wasnt referring to kits, that's a bit different.  You have to measure the component before it goes into the pcb (well you should at least :D).  Im referring to component parts orders.  Having 100s of resistors in a bag and trying to find one the 100k resistor you bought in the bag is a bit annoying.  Unless you can read bands quickly but you get what I mean.

Like mentioned above by a few people some places actually do this (all components chucked into the one bag).  I couldn't do that though for my store.  The feedback would be absolutely negative (again, its general diy customers expectations).
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

stevie1556

This thread is giving a lot of good ideas and food for thought.

With reusing the bags for buying components from a shop, the only shop near me is Maplins (they are all shutting down as they went into administration, and are horrendously expensive anyway). I'm am planning on send out some SMD components in them when a board is complete, but apart from that I can't think of any other use that I could use them for.

With the comment regarding about recycling them, I've done some more research and still none the wiser. I know carrier bags can be recycled but they generally get turned into refuse bags as they are a low quality plastic, but I think these plastic bags are of a different type as they feel different.

I'd be more them happy if companies started putting all the pots into one bag as they would be easy enough to sort out, and as long as the resistors are kept in strips then they would be easy enough to sort as well.