News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lavache (Bansai Drive)

Started by JakeFuzz, June 11, 2011, 05:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

The Bansai drive. Uses a 2N3565 and BAT41's in the Z positions. Sounds much better than my old Les Lius clone. Like I said in my Sunking vid. fingers just won't cooperate today. Ill try and get my fuzz collection documented tomorrow.

I would also like to mention that this uses a 3PDT I bought from Tayda for like 2.50. Must be made by the same manufacturer that makes all the "Taiwan Blue" style switches but this sort of looks like QC chucked it in the reject bin. Will probably work fine but I wouldn't totally depend on this one.

k.rock!

Niiiice!! I love how it sounds! I have my board waiting to be populated and your demo got me all excited n' stuff...haha!

Thanks for posting these demos man! Really helpful

PS. What camera are u using? I want to get a good cam for videos like this :)

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

Myramyd

Great demo! Thanks for doing it.

I have one of these boards on order so, I'm excited.

I also just got some Tayda switches and while they look good, they don't feel real solid. I probably won't order their switches again.

J

JakeFuzz

Quote from: k.rock! on June 11, 2011, 08:07:52 PM
PS. What camera are u using? I want to get a good cam for videos like this :)

-Kaleb

It is a Canon Vixia M300 something. I don't remember the exact model number, ill have to look at it again tomorrow. Great picture quality, sound isn't too bad either. 

k.rock!

It is a Canon Vixia M300 something. I don't remember the exact model number, ill have to look at it again tomorrow. Great picture quality, sound isn't too bad either. 

Yeah! Sounds very good too man...I'll look into it :) Thanks!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thanks for another great demo.  :) It great when you build a new pedal and like it so much its able to replace an old time favorite!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

slimtriggers

Sounds good!  I like the graphics, and the way you laid it out with the boost on a toggle rather than a stomp.  From the sound of it, I'd probably leave the boost on all the time anyway. 8) 

I've got one of these on my bench awaiting pots right now.  Thanks for the demo.

Jimihendrix1987

Hi there !

Nice good sounding pedal Jake ! I've built mine too, but i'm not as happy as I would want to be... I hear a great difference between the 1n914's and the other 2 positions.

I have used 1n914 for D1 and D2. Bat41 for z1 and z2. Bat46 for z3. What my ears are able to hear is a great open distorsion in the z1 and z2 position. Opener and louder in position z3. Too closed and lower volume (compared with the other 2 positions) with 1n914 !

What do you think about Jake? Is it happening to you too?

Good Job man ;)

JakeFuzz

Quote from: Jimihendrix1987 on June 13, 2011, 11:08:28 AM
Hi there !

Nice good sounding pedal Jake ! I've built mine too, but i'm not as happy as I would want to be... I hear a great difference between the 1n914's and the other 2 positions.

I have used 1n914 for D1 and D2. Bat41 for z1 and z2. Bat46 for z3. What my ears are able to hear is a great open distorsion in the z1 and z2 position. Opener and louder in position z3. Too closed and lower volume (compared with the other 2 positions) with 1n914 !

What do you think about Jake? Is it happening to you too?

Good Job man ;)

Jimi thanks man!

About your pedal the shape switch settings sound correct but you probably mean in the Z1 and Z2 positions it is "closed" and lower volume. The 1n914's are always in the signal path and in the switch middle position they should be the only clippers, because the forward voltage of 1n914's are about 1 volt this should be the loudest position.

When Z3 is engaged a BAT46 has a much lower Vf and will clip off the sine wave at a lower point (asymmetrically because we are only facing one direction) and this should be slightly lower volume than the middle position.

The last setting uses both the 1n914's and the BAT41's in the signal path, but because the BAT41's have a lower Vf than the 1n914 the signal will clip at this level and be the quietest but have the most clipping. You can try experimenting with different diodes in Z1 and Z2 to get higher forward voltages (putting them in series maybe) but you will lose the extra gain you get in that setting. I tried 1n60's  and 1n34's in these positions at the very beginning and I found I didn't really like how fizzy they were.

Hope that helps!     

Jimihendrix1987

Ei Jake !

Thanks for that amazing explanation ;) ! I'm not worried enough about it... I will use it in only one position... The Middle one (I think It's called Tchula in the original one)... Incredible !

IT SOUNDS TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED ;) (sometimes when I close my eyes I feel being like Neil Young  ;D ;D)