Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rangemaster Build, OC44 Yellow Jacket

Started by PigeonFX, March 21, 2015, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jebus

PigeonFX

Quote from: billstein on March 21, 2015, 11:05:00 PM
Really nice! Can I ask what that silver thing is that says 5000J?

Yes, these are Polystyrene (Styroflex) Capacitors (5000 denotes is 5000pF/5nF/0.005uF), they have fallen a little out of favour as it's hard to find them in a good range of values, but I personally really like using them for input/output caps as they have such low leakage, low dielectric absorption and low distortion, so used a 5nF for the input, and 8,2nF for the output on this build.

You only really see them in audio applications now days.
I'm PigeonFX - www.pigeonfx.com

davent

Quote from: PigeonFX on March 22, 2015, 05:47:33 PM
Quote from: billstein on March 21, 2015, 11:05:00 PM
Really nice! Can I ask what that silver thing is that says 5000J?

Yes, these are Polystyrene (Styroflex) Capacitors (5000 denotes is 5000pF/5nF/0.005uF), they have fallen a little out of favour as it's hard to find them in a good range of values, but I personally really like using them for input/output caps as they have such low leakage, low dielectric absorption and low distortion, so used a 5nF for the input, and 8,2nF for the output on this build.

You only really see them in audio applications now days.

Good source for polystyrenes in NA is Just Radios, have  a high minimum order but a wide range of values , 10pf - 10,000pf, big selection of CC resistors and i've been using their various high voltage coupling caps in my guitar amp builds and been completely happy with the results.

http://www.justradios.com/cart.html

Great looking build, you've really nailed the original's look.
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

PigeonFX

I'm PigeonFX - www.pigeonfx.com

lars

Sehr nette Arbeit. Der einzige Sachevermißte ist einige Rostpunkte. Es würde ein trügerischer Klon sein. :o
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....