News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass VI vs Bariton

Started by drolo, March 25, 2015, 06:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

I am thinking of converting a Tele I have laying around that has a crappy neck to either a Bass VI or Bariton, with a conversion neck.

I have the feeling that with a Bass VI I will be stuck with something in between a bass and a guitar, where playing chords will yield shoddy results. Might be very cool for some things but not an very flexible instrument.
It would be nice to have it as an extended shortscale bass though ...

Bariton, closer to a regular guitar, but you have to transpose what you are playing which can be annoying but at the same time open up new tonal possibilities ...

Not ever having played either one of those I was just wondering what you guy's experience with such instruments is.

P.S. I know that it all really depends on personal preferences and playing style. Just wondering what you guys play with these instruments.

GrindCustoms

I'd go with the BassVI, since you don't need to transpose anything and from the clips i've heard it seems to sustain chords quite well.

They also sound freaking badass with Fuzzyz!  8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

drolo

Damn, I forgot to mention that you guys were supposed to convince me to go Bariton.
If I decide to go Bass VI, for the price I might as well get a Squier Bass VI, then will eventually get the Baritone neck anyway and will have yet another additional guitar ...

Please convince me to go Baritone ! :-D

Betty Wont

I'm a bass vi player. I play chords with it all the time. Mine has humbuckers and I mostly play it high gain though. Mostly punk, metal, and prog. I had a baritone les paul once and didn't care for it. It was flappy and it couldn't make compelling bass OR guitar tones, but the bass vi does both well. The larger gauge with more tension just feels better to my fingers.

Tremster

Go Baritone!

I have a Danelectro Baritone and like that sort of feel.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: drolo on March 25, 2015, 06:16:18 AM
Damn, I forgot to mention that you guys were supposed to convince me to go Bariton.
If I decide to go Bass VI, for the price I might as well get a Squier Bass VI, then will eventually get the Baritone neck anyway and will have yet another additional guitar ...

Please convince me to go Baritone ! :-D

I have the firm conviction of not convincing you of getting a baritone!  :P

90% of my guitar player life have been on drop tuned instrument, all of them being standard scale instrument, either 24.75 or 25.5 scale. I'd had them tuned down to G but most of the time in C with the big string droped in Bb... i never felt like i'd need to have a longer scale to keep thing accurate or well sounding. Was simply using thickier strings and not going in extremes either for that.... the G tuning was brutal on that Jackson COW 7string... an .085 i think... but was still very easy to fret, tune and intonate.

I'd say go for a Baritone if you're already playing your guitars in E with string bigger than 56's.... otherwise i think it could be redundant a bit... that is my perspective of things of course.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

madbean

Baritone, brah. I love it.

micromegas

you can  convert your tele to a bass VI. It's going to be harder than converting it to a baritone, but you'll need a good adjustment anyway.

if I were you I'll get both  ;D

I've been playing lately in a semi-acoustic quartet where I play either bass or slide guitar. A bass VI or a short-scale bass would be awesome (small hands, you know...).
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

GermanCdn

I've got the Squier Bass VI, it's lots of fun for $300.  Convert the tele to a baritone, then buy a Bass VI.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

drolo

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 25, 2015, 07:29:43 AM
I've got the Squier Bass VI, it's lots of fun for $300.  Convert the tele to a baritone, then buy a Bass VI.
Funny, just before you replied I was writing that I was scared to end up like you when I decide to move to a new house :-D
(not that I am anywhere remotely near having a fraction of your guitars)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 25, 2015, 07:29:43 AM

Agree with the above. The Squier Bass VI is a lot of fun, I play my buddy's all the time.

Cody

drolo

you guys are evil tempters ....

micromegas

you started this, asking guys that started modding and building pedals instead of sticking to the trusty boss and ibanez ones :D
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Betty Wont

Quote from: micromegas on March 25, 2015, 09:01:46 AM
you started this, asking guys that started modding and building pedals instead of sticking to the trusty boss and ibanez ones :D
LOL, and we can help you mod your pedals to suit your new baritone AND bass!

jimilee

All your mods are belong to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.