News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

International Swearing

Started by alanp, March 25, 2015, 09:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Spanish swearing sounds awesome!

Missed that one. He's/she's got massive bollocks - is also someone very brave/stupid/without fear.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

micromegas

Quote from: juansolo on March 26, 2015, 02:56:43 AM
Missed that one. Someone with massive bollocks is also someone very brave/stupid/without fear.
same as here. And I can imagine the absence of bollocks implies cowardice?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

juansolo

Quote from: micromegas on March 26, 2015, 02:58:46 AM
Quote from: juansolo on March 26, 2015, 02:56:43 AM
Missed that one. Someone with massive bollocks is also someone very brave/stupid/without fear.
same as here. And I can imagine the absence of bollocks implies cowardice?

Yep :) ie: No way I'd have the bollocks to do that.

Willybomb

QuoteWe've got a pretty good one in Australia, if you really want to offend somebody when they come over to your house, serve them a VB (beer) :D

Really?  When I was at (Ballarat) Uni 20 years ago it was the pub beer of choice.  I don't drink (and I didn't then either) so I can't tell you why that was or what the situation is there.

What I do know is that no one in Australia drinks Fosters....

micromegas

Drolo should chime in this thread. My mother is learning portuguese and she says they are really creative for swearing :)

Muadzin

The main advantage of swearing in Dutch is that you can combine many words into one huge swearwords. We also like to use diseases a lot as we really love to inflict nasty diseases upon each other. Using the Lord's name is also a steady staple. So we could get:

Godgloeiendegodverdommekankerteringtyfuszooi! (God glowing God dammit cancer tuberculosis typhoid crap)

Krijg de tering! (Get tuberculosis!)

Certain handicaps also do well:
Achterlijke kutmongool! You retarded cunt with Down syndrome (this one loses a lot in translation)

Calling people by their genitals, the three letter words as we call them, is also a perennial favorite. There are lots of regional variations and people can be quite creative themselves and in their own social groups.

Finally, having been a few times to Iran I also picked up a few Farsi swearwords. Although I don't think they are as vulgar as we are, when spoken right they have a nice exotic flavor to them
Keesaphat (dirty person) I heard quite a lot, which you can combine with a person's name.
Zahremaar (snake venom)

micromegas

Quote from: Muadzin on March 26, 2015, 03:45:25 AM
The main advantage of swearing in Dutch is that you can combine many words into one huge swearwords. We also like to use diseases a lot as we really love to inflict nasty diseases upon each other. Using the Lord's name is also a steady staple. So we could get:

Godgloeiendegodverdommekankerteringtyfuszooi! (God glowing God dammit cancer tuberculosis typhoid crap)

Krijg de tering! (Get tuberculosis!)

Certain handicaps also do well:
Achterlijke kutmongool! You retarded cunt with Down syndrome (this one loses a lot in translation)

Calling people by their genitals, the three letter words as we call them, is also a perennial favorite. There are lots of regional variations and people can be quite creative themselves and in their own social groups.

Finally, having been a few times to Iran I also picked up a few Farsi swearwords. Although I don't think they are as vulgar as we are, when spoken right they have a nice exotic flavor to them
Keesaphat (dirty person) I heard quite a lot, which you can combine with a person's name.
Zahremaar (snake venom)
Thank you for providing names for my next batch of pedals  ;D Those are awesome! When pronouncing the Farsi ones I feel like I'm cursing someone.. (like in that racist Indiana Jones movie "kalimaa")

drolo

Quote from: micromegas on March 26, 2015, 03:13:48 AM
Drolo should chime in this thread. My mother is learning portuguese and she says they are really creative for swearing :)

There are indeed some nice ones  ...

Seu Cabrão dum corno! = litterally translated " You Big goat of a horn!"
You sometimes wonder what the origin of such swearwords are, what situation could possibly have summoned someone to invent that  .... :-)

Luke51411

This might be the best thread ever!

juansolo

My gran (95) has some good old school ones that slip out now and again. "Arsehole scrapings!" being my favourite, used at my mum (gran has Alzheimers) when really annoyed with her. Reduces my mum to hysterical laughter even when she really means it.

Vallhagen

Love the subject. Unfortunately I'm not a grammar king, so I do have a bit of a hard time expressing the nuances of Swedish swearing, but I should give it a try:

Traditionally we get our rich swearing from hell. The word "helvete"=hell is a common swearword itself. Also:
"Satan"=Satan
"Fan"=Satan
"Jävlar"=Devils. But this word is hard to translate; in fact "devils"="djävlar" in Swedish, we skip the initial "d" to make it a bad word.

The meaning of those words cannot in context be directly translated to English as the list above. Rather - if  a swede sais/shouts "Vad I helvete" (translates to "what in hell") he means "what the fuck". If he sais "Fan", he means "Fuck", and if he sais "Jävlar", he also means "Fuck". "Jävla idiot" will translate to "fuckin moron/idiot".

Those words also take their own path in the Swedish word classes - making them quite unique words. In some sentences they are not swearwords but used to put you down anyway. if I say "brinn I helvetet" = "burn in hell", helvete is really a place where I wish you shall burn rather than a swearing, compared to "Vad I helvete" (above), where "helvete" definitely is a cussword.

Lighter forms of swearing might include the word "förbannat"="damned" (which can be compared to "förbannad" which simply means "really angry"), or "jäklar", a more kind form of "jävlar"... Someone just changed a letter.

If I got things right, It seems common in English to pick the bad words from sex, and in Sweden we got them from the devil downthere. At least traditionally. The youth have - however - recently implemented a new generation of insulting expressions, often in form of family insults; "din mamma är en hora"="your mother is a whore". This often shortened to just "din mamma"="your mother"; incomprehensible for many of us, but a sever insult to those understanding the code.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

pryde

Here in the States, "Fuck you you fucking fuck" showcases our American laziness and lack of creative vocabulary when it is time to curse.

We often combine the f-bomb with other insulting words to increase effectiveness: i.e. "hey fuck-tard", etc.

Silliness.

drolo

It seems that these are also often accompanied by some aknowledgement of the subject's parents belonging to canine species ... :-)

midwayfair

I'm glad someone from Holland popped on here, because Dutch and German curses are my favorite to see written out.

Tremster

Quote from: midwayfair on March 26, 2015, 06:12:57 AM
I'm glad someone from Holland popped on here, because Dutch and German curses are my favorite to see written out.

Why is that, verdammte Scheiße?!