News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soddering...

Started by juansolo, March 31, 2015, 02:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

I was reading a build doc and it mentioned soldering. I don't even know how to say it now. What the heck!

BillyBoy

I've never heard of soddering, but I have heard of sautering.  Sautering isn't an actual word, but I've heard that word used as often as soldering in my part of the world (Midwest USA).  And, of course, the wire that is melted is sauter.  Since "soddering" and "sautering" (sottering) sound very similar, maybe that's the connection.  And, yes, this non-existent word is spelled "sautering" and pronounced "sottering", which is pretty funny in itself - a correct pronunciation for an odd spelling of a make-believe word.  Of course, "sautering" doesn't suffer from any of the "sodding" problems, making it a better non-existent word.

I know EEs that call it sautering because that's what their teachers call it.  I find that amusing, especially when I say "solder" and they correct me to "sauter" - hey, they should be the experts!  I actually did think it was a word at one point.  I thought it meant something more like brazing or something plumbers did to join pipes.  But it doesn't.  It doesn't mean anything other than someone doesn't know it is really "soldering".  My guess is that it was some messed up version of an actual word in German, Dutch, French, or other language that was spoken by people that settled here long ago.  Lots of messed up words and place names here have resulted from semi-literate English-speaking mangling of non-English words and names.  Or it could be German, Dutch, French, etc settlers messing up the English word and passing it back.  Sautering has been going on here for many years. 

Anyway, I say soldering now so people won't know I'm a hick, but give me a couple of longnecks and an iron and I might start sautering...
Bill Gerlt
Gerlt Technologies
Custom Rack Effects

Guitarmageddon

Losing that "L" always puzzled me, I just figured, in the US, it was silent - as in "pee" in swimming.  ;)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Matt

Matt

Leevibe

If you're looking for a language where spelling is a reliable guide to pronunciation, English ain't the one. :) Did we mess it up even worse when it got to our continent? Yep. And it makes perfect sense to me why our pronunciation of the word bothers Juan. Will I be able, in the face of that, to change the way I say it? Probably not.

I honestly never even knew of the British (and Australian) pronunciation until I saw one of Paul's videos. I thought he was mispronouncing the word. Haha. Now I know better, and I understand why it would sound so offensive in other parts of the world. We just don't say "sod" or "sodding" over here unless we're talking about lawns. 

If you look it up in a dictionary, pronunciations are shown for both American English and British English. We've also chosen our own spellings for a lot of words over here. If it keeps evolving, we'll probably just resort to a series of clicks, whistles and grunts.

billstein

Quote from: Leevibe on April 03, 2015, 08:08:59 AM
If you're looking for a language where spelling is a reliable guide to pronunciation, English ain't the one. :)

That's for sure. I'm still trying to figure out how a military officer is spelled "Colonel". How the heck can that sound the same as a popcorn "Kernel". Try using phonics to help you on that one.

culturejam

Quote from: billstein on April 03, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

If you're looking for a language where spelling is a reliable guide to pronunciation, English ain't the one. :)

That's for sure. I'm still trying to figure out how a military officer is spelled "Colonel". How the heck can that sound the same as a popcorn "Kernel". Try using phonics to help you on that one.

I'm a fan of pronouncing "lieutenant" as "leftenant" myself.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Justus

Yeah but is a silent "L" really that bad?  What about a silent "J"?   ;)

Luke51411

Quote from: Justus on April 03, 2015, 09:28:09 AM
Yeah but is a silent "L" really that bad?  What about a silent "J"?   ;)
As used in the word "Jogging"? :P

juansolo

Quote from: culturejam on April 03, 2015, 09:19:50 AM
Quote from: billstein on April 03, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

I'm a fan of pronouncing "lieutenant" as "leftenant" myself.  ;D

Good man :)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk