News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Comic books: what are you into?

Started by micromegas, April 03, 2015, 06:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

I love comics, but not the "heroic" stuff (DC nor Marvel).

I'm now rereading "100 bullets" from start and just finished "Blacksad" (if you like black-novel check that one out).
Huge fan of Mike Mignola too, I've read all the Hellboy stuff and I'm following "Baltimore" right now.
"The Last Man" was another interesting one.
"The Walking Dead": meh.... better see the series.

Other guys I admire are Moebius and Milo Manara (the last one it's famous for his naughty stuff, but has some psychedelic comics too. A true artist he is.)

Almost forgot Frank Miller. Love the Dark Horse stuff.

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

alanp

Always been a HUUUUGE fan of Tintin and Asterix. I also LOVE Footrot Flats, and the Dog.

Never had the money growing up for comic books, and AFAIK no shops in my town sold 'em (other than Asterix, Tintin, and Footrot Flats.)

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

micromegas

Quote from: alanp on April 03, 2015, 11:33:54 AM
Always been a HUUUUGE fan of Tintin and Asterix. I also LOVE Footrot Flats, and the Dog.

Never had the money growing up for comic books, and AFAIK no shops in my town sold 'em (other than Asterix, Tintin, and Footrot Flats.)

Ok. I love Tintin and Aterix too, and you can add Lucky Luck to the list. No money here either, but I used to take them from the library when I was a child.
Buddy Longway is another one I used to love. I still have two of the books with me.

Nowadays I don't buy so often. When I want to read a complete series I just go to the interwebz and look for  .cbr files. (shame on me)

lincolnic

In my opinion, Saga and Sex Criminals are two of the best comics being produced today. When I was a kid, Image was kind of lame, but these days they've got all the good stuff!

On a more serious note, I'm also a big fan of the works of Chris Ware and Jason.

Vallhagen

Nowadays i just love Judge Dredd. Whenever i putting my foot in a second-hand place i look for comics with him.

Good old Asterix, Tintin and Lucky Luke is brilliant too. I read a lot of MAD magazines when i was younger, and was especially into Sergio Aragones and Don Martin; though they somehow have lost their brilliance over the years.

We have a few fantastic comic artists in sweden too, a favourite is Joakim Pirinen. No idea if he is translated to other languages though. He's character SockerConny ("Sugar Conny") is a classic.

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

alanp

I strongly recommend Footrot Flats for rural humour (and there is not a single incest or animal-fucking joke in it over multiple decades.)

It's also a pretty good indicator as to the Kiwi sense of humour.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

My brother and I read comics when we were kids. We had quite a lot between us. I was into 2000AD (Judge Dredd and friends, from issue 1 don'tcha know) and X-Men (yeah, I was into all the dark nihilistic stuff even as a kid). He was into a lot of the Marvel stuff; Hulk, Spiderman, Thor and the like. Did a few of the DC stuff never really appealed. It was all just too wholesome.

Occasionally dip into Manga these days. Really enjoyed Hellsing.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Mich P

Gilbert SHELTON's Freak Brothers  !
Mich P.

m-Kresol

I really dig Frank Miller's dark stuff. I have one or two Batman comics, which are drawn in that style. Besides that, I loved Lucky Luke as a kid and i still find 'Hägar, the viking' ridiculously amusing.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

madbean

I go into Walking Dead a few years before the show came out (which I also like a lot), so I've got all the graphic volumes of those. Great books! These are the only ones I read regularly. I also like Peter Bagge's stuff a lot, Hate and some of the more recent stuff he's done. I was into some of the Image and Dark Horse stuff for a few years.
I've got 6 or 7 long-boxes full of Amazing/Spectacular Spider-man, X-Men, and all kinds of Marvel stuff from the 80-90's when I collected as a kid.  I was never very much into DC. Unfortunately, I don't think they are worth as much as I though they would be at this point, but that's cool. Someday I will sit down and re-read all that stuff I loved as a kid.

GrindCustoms

When younger i was a lot into the Spawn and Xmen comic books and was also quite a fan of the Fly manga's....

There was also a limited series of Matrix comic book that came out, went through all of those... must have all of those in some dusty box i've always carried with me thought out my multiple movings.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Ettore_M

Man, I LOVE Hellboy.. Just love it. I've read every one of them. :D
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

micromegas

Quote from: Ettore_M on April 04, 2015, 02:09:16 PM
Man, I LOVE Hellboy.. Just love it. I've read every one of them. :D
+10 It has everything for a comic series. Have you read Baltimore? that one's cool too

Ettore_M

No... But I 'll check it out.
Do you have any links?
I used to read a lot of Hellboy stuff in .cbr form...
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

micromegas

Quote from: Ettore_M on April 04, 2015, 02:22:07 PM
No... But I 'll check it out.
Do you have any links?
I used to read a lot of Hellboy stuff in .cbr form...
I think I got them from some torrent server but I no longer have the files.

EDIT: quick search got me this: https://kickass.to/mike-mignola-baltimore-1-23-dh-2010-dgtl-1024-minutemen-t9694104.html

I have to say I liked Hellboy more, but this is good stuff too. Migonla is only writer here so the draw is not that awesome, but it's still good.

Another series I enjoyed a lot is "Northlanders", viking stuff never gets old :).