News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Common pedal parts smd versions and sourcing

Started by brejna, April 04, 2015, 04:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brejna

Hi guys I am thinking about tryin some smd stuff. So what are best matches for:
-PNP,NPN transistors (2n5088,2n3904,2n5087 etc..)
-voltage regulators
-diodes
-caps
-resistors
..and so on..
Where to buy them?

CodeMonk

mouser.com
MMBT (MMBT5088, MMBT3906) prefix for BJT (Some prefixes may be different though. I selected for Fairchild Semiconductor for the manufacturer in this case. Other manufacturers may use different prefixes).

Here are some diodes, as an example, which lists an SMD version of a 1N914 : http://www.mouser.com/Fairchild-Semiconductor/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Diodes-Rectifiers/Diodes-General-Purpose-Power-Switching/_/N-ax1mp?P=1z0zlebZ1z0y42tZ1z0z7pt

Basically what you can do is go to mouser.com, search for say voltage regulator, Diode, Capacitors, etc., when the new page comes up, there are several other search parameters you can narrow the search with.
Use the "Mounting Style" list to choose SMD/SMT (or whatever form factors suits your needs).
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

culturejam

You can get just about everything on your list at Tayda, actually. They only sell one size of the passives (0805), but they have lots of values and also transistors, op amps, and regulators. They don't have diodes for some reason.

Mouser and Newark have everything, but shopping at those places takes a little bit of practice.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

brejna

Thanks for info. What do you think what is good substitute for PNP transistors on the tayda? BC847 maybe..

culturejam

Quote from: brejna on April 04, 2015, 07:27:10 AM
Thanks for info. What do you think what is good substitute for PNP transistors on the tayda? BC847 maybe..

Depends on the application/circuit. You'll have to compare data sheets to know for sure.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

RobA

Quote from: brejna on April 04, 2015, 07:27:10 AM

The BC847 should be an NPN. It's the SMD version of the BC547. The BC5xx all seem to have an SMD equivalent that are numbered BC8xx. The BC860 should be a PNP that would be a good choice for audio.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

On diodes, it can get a bit weird because there are three different footprints for them in SMD, SOT-23, SOD123, and mini-MELF. So, you have to find one that matches the type of diode you need and the footprint. The 1N4148 is easily available in a SOD123 format.

For voltage regulators, if you are designing your own circuits, there are better parts available in SMD than PTH, but you really need to read the data sheets because they'll have different capacitor requirements than the standard PTH regulators that are commonly used.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

brejna

Thanks guys, I really want to get into this :)

I bought some diodes maybe year ago LL4148 and they are 3.6mm long so it should be SOD123, right?
Also there is lot of different ones on the ebay, they should be legit or?

pickdropper

+1 on Mouser.  For resistors, I would recommend buying 100 or so of each value at a time as they come down to about 1 to 1.5 cents a piece for good quality 1% resistors.

For resistors 0603 and larger, make sure to buy from a vendor that marks them.  Some vendors don't put values on them, which can be inconvenient, especially if you are hand building with them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

CodeMonk

Quote from: culturejam on April 04, 2015, 06:58:29 AM
You can get just about everything on your list at Tayda, actually. They only sell one size of the passives (0805), but they have lots of values and also transistors, op amps, and regulators. They don't have diodes for some reason.

Mouser and Newark have everything, but shopping at those places takes a little bit of practice.

Yeah, mouser takes a little getting used to.
Can be a bit confusing if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.
Forgot about Tayda.

And just as a word of caution, an FYI or whatever, I ordered some 1n34a's from Tayda a few years ago that I suspect are fakes.
The voltage drop on them was around .6x.
And the package was different than what I've normally seen for 1n34a's. It looked more like a 1n914 as far as the package goes.
But other than that, I've been satisfied with what I have bought from them.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

pickdropper

Quote from: CodeMonk on April 04, 2015, 05:01:44 PM
Quote from: culturejam on April 04, 2015, 06:58:29 AM

Yeah, mouser takes a little getting used to.
Can be a bit confusing if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.
Forgot about Tayda.

And just as a word of caution, an FYI or whatever, I ordered some 1n34a's from Tayda a few years ago that I suspect are fakes.
The voltage drop on them was around .6x.
And the package was different than what I've normally seen for 1n34a's. It looked more like a 1n914 as far as the package goes.
But other than that, I've been satisfied with what I have bought from them.

I understand why some folks go to Tayda over places like Mouser, but there is a distinct advantage for SMT parts in that you can get known parts from Mouser whereas you can get whatever from Tayda.  For close to the same price, you can get resistors and caps from known manufacturers in known tolerances and with known temperature coefficients.  And you'll get active components that are much more likely to be in spec.  Just my 2c.
Function f(x)

brejna

I think I'll try mouser soon, I hope that shipping won't ruin everything..

muddyfox

yeah, for most of europe mouser is still a pita due to shipping cost.

pickdropper

How about Farnell?  They should have most of it, too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)

brejna

Quote from: pickdropper on April 05, 2015, 06:03:44 AM
How about Farnell?  They should have most of it, too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've checked them and they are not shipping to Bosnia. I cannot finish registration on there site..