News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Epoxy "Envirotex" lifting problems

Started by chromesphere, April 11, 2015, 10:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

when mixing, i go by weight. i use one of those kitchen digital scales that measure down to grams. i put one of the plastic cups you mention on it, reset it to zero, the. pour say 5g of one and 5g of other, making a 10g total. if i accidentally go overboard on the second, i just add more of the first to make them even. even if their unit masses are different, it's such a small difference that i feel i'd make more of an error mixing them from different cups and losing some stuck to the sides of cups. mix vigorously, one big inhale next to the open window, one big exhale directly on ET and presto, no bubbles whatsoever!

PhiloB

Hey Paul, I recently tried to ET over a fresnel lens(for 3mm Led) and it almost covered it.  Don't know exactly how much it sticks up above the surface but it's not much (maybe 1-2mm).  Maybe 40% got covered by ET, I got cold feet on the pour.  I HATE having the stuff spill over the edges and having to wipe for an hour as it continues to drop over the sides!
Here is the only pic I have:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chromesphere

Oh I see thanks Philob.  I think the sticker letters is worth a shot, they are pretty low profile.  Might do it on the next pedal.  Hey that looks pretty good on a bare enclosure!  Is that a decal that you used for the graphics?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

PhiloB

It is an etch.  Then used acrylic paint - sons model car paints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AntKnee

I learned from the Juan and Cleggy's tutorial, but now I pour it a bit differently. I use popsickle sticks to drip it into the holes (taped from backside) and fill them first. Then I pour a little on and begin spreading it around with the stick. If I need more I dip the stick and spread some more around. This allows me to use just enough ET to cover the surface, but not enough to run down the sides. I've found ET to be very forgiving this way.

I should say, though, that I use inkjet decals, and I put 4 coats of clear acrylic over them. This makes the decal very durable and it can take the application and ET spreading process very well.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

chromesphere

Looks great Philob!

I used toothpicks antknee as I didn't have any popsickle sticks around.  It worked ok, but I went a bit heavy upfront with the mixure.  For any one else wanting to try I measured 10g of each, it was probably about 50% over what I needed for a 1590bb.

chromesphere

Just learnt lesson number 1, dont skimp on the epoxy.  It looks really patchy.  Also learnt that you can fix this by just dumping a heap of new epoxy on top (half-45 mins after first application), so not the end of the world.  Will remember next time to lather it on.  Also, didnt help that i forgot to heat up the mixture in hot water before applying...   ::)

TNblueshawk

Quote from: chromesphere on April 17, 2015, 02:02:53 AM
Just learnt lesson number 1, dont skimp on the epoxy.  It looks really patchy.  Also learnt that you can fix this by just dumping a heap of new epoxy on top (half-45 mins after first application), so not the end of the world.  Will remember next time to lather it on.  Also, didnt help that i forgot to heat up the mixture in hot water before applying...   ::)

Been there. I have reapplied after 24 hours though and been fine although you end up with a really thick coat on top but no biggie really.

That was my issue with worrying about 'saving money' by trying to put just enough on. I realized early on that if I wanted to continue to use this finishing method I just had to accept waste as part of the cost. I figured a can of lacquer goes pretty quick and those aren't cheap. I figured it more or less comes out in the wash on the waste. But you'll get better at figuring out your method and how to waste as little as possible.

Also, I used a 500w Halogen light in my garage and would shine it on my pedals. I would then squat down and try to get a eye level view of the pedal because, and maybe it was just me, I would miss an empty spot many times around the pot holes etc... That light helped me see real good. Also, as my garage door was always closed I needed it anyway.

Again, if you plan to do many pedals in your future the way to go might be trying to find a gallon of this stuff on line. I did see it sold like that a few years ago somewhere. Not sure about now.
John

Justus

Amazon actually has pretty decent prices, no coupons needed and most with free Prime shipping.  You can get it in quantities from 4oz to gallons.  I've got a 32oz pack coming in the mail today. 

billstein

Quote from: Justus on April 17, 2015, 07:15:54 AM
Amazon actually has pretty decent prices, no coupons needed and most with free Prime shipping.  You can get it in quantities from 4oz to gallons.  I've got a 32oz pack coming in the mail today.

I get mine from Amazon.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Interesting idea with the nail polish Alan, have you got a photo or something of the results?

alanp

You can see around the edges of the red lettering, in this one.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Doesnt look half bad Alan and i bet its 'tough as nails' (pun very much intended) :D

Looks like i stuffed up the ratio on this one, taking FOREVER to cure...i think i was lucky first time around.

Lesson 2: Dont measure microscopic amounts of epoxy, just too hard to do it accurately even with digital scales.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: chromesphere on April 18, 2015, 04:48:35 PM
Doesnt look half bad Alan and i bet its 'tough as nails' (pun very much intended) :D

Looks like i stuffed up the ratio on this one, taking FOREVER to cure...i think i was lucky first time around.

Lesson 2: Dont measure microscopic amounts of epoxy, just too hard to do it accurately even with digital scales.

I read in the past some guys would take the waste as they were pouring and pour it back over it I guess in an effort to save costs. I was always afraid that I'd pick up some trash, hairs or something so I never did this. It wasn't worth the $1.22 I might save each pour when you consider how much time and effort you invest to trying to make that puppy look good.

Alan, does the nail polish turn yellow over time? I only ask from the standpoint of if someone wanted to do a white pedal. The Envirotex does which is why I mostly stayed away from white pedals although I didn't mind the slight yellow for one here or there. 
John