News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Switchcraft vs Neutrik 1/4" jacks

Started by gtr2, June 23, 2011, 11:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Switchcraft vs Neutrik open frame jacks.  My stock has run dry and I've got to place another order for jacks.  I've mainly used the enclosed type before but I was looking at other options...

Opinions anyone?

The googling I did turned up a mixed bag of opinions...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

I use Neutrik.  Perfectly happy with them and see no reason to spend extra for SC.  My 2 cents.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

gtr2

Quote from: jimmybjj on June 23, 2011, 02:15:36 PM
What about those GLS jacks?
I just found I can actually get a better deal through mouser.  I can buy the neutriks for 81 cents/each if I get 25.  Plus, I order from mouser every couple weeks so I don't have to pay more shipping from yet another supplier.  I only need mono.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Neutrik/NYS229/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv0W4pxf2HiVy2l1tTxTkO1wmlELqaDPes%3d
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

I get mine from mouser as well.  Even if you only order 10 it's a decent deal.

Here's the link for stereo jacks
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=NYS230virtualkey56810000virtualkey568-NYS230
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've always had a good experience with neutrik jacks. They are much studier than the cheap-o mammoth economy jacks I'm using right now.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

Yeah I didn't care for their enclosed jack either.  I prefer not to skimp on jacks and switches.  I think I'll go with the neutriks but I'll pickup a few switchcrafts just to compare.  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

CRBMoA

Quote from: Haberdasher on June 23, 2011, 12:39:18 PM
I use Neutrik.  Perfectly happy with them and see no reason to spend extra for SC.  My 2 cents.

^^^^This^^^^

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gtr2 on June 23, 2011, 05:05:46 PM
Yeah I didn't care for their enclosed jack either.  I prefer not to skimp on jacks and switches.  I think I'll go with the neutriks but I'll pickup a few switchcrafts just to compare.  ;)

Josh

Let us know how it goes bro!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

I got the cheap taiwan ones from PPP last time, and they seem good. I've used the Neutrik and the Switchcraft, and the GLS. I like the Switchcraft best, the GLS second, the Taiwan next, and the Neutrik last. The reason the Neutrik's are last is because the holes for some of their jack tabs are actually too small for some wires to fit in.

If I were to buy some new ones today, the GLS is the choice I would make if possible.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Thanks for your opinion Jacob.  That was a concern of mine with the neutriks.  Maybe I'll just go switchcraft after all  :D  It's nice to have you back and active in the forum again!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

well... I'm sort of around periodically. I'm working a contract which makes my contribution off and on around here. Miss being here though.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

dwstanford

I pretty much use the open mono neutriks listed earlier.  I get them from mouser or sb or ppp depending on who I'm ordering from at the time.  I was using switchcraft exclusively, but went for the neutriks for the price.  They have been great.  I have not had any issues with the holes being too small, but I guess that all depends on what type of wire you're using and what you're building.  I use 24 or 22 ga mil spec stranded wire on everything.  I may try a few of the Taiwanese and gls jacks just to see.

jball85

I use the cheap open frame neutriks from PPP (I think)  for all of my builds, no problems yet. They work great.

timbo_93631

I use Switchcraft jacks.  If you want your builds bulletproof, SC is the way to go.  The nut is a little thicker, even if it has 1/2 a turn more threads in it there is better clamping and resistance to the jack moving in it's hole.  A good thing if somebody accidentially misses the switch on the box and instead nails the cable plug during a boozefuelled epic solo with epic stombox stomping aciton.  Every guitar I get gets a SC too.   The tip contact is made of thicker steel than Neutriks and has a good positive feel, you plug your cable in and know it is going to stay there unless your bass player is standing on your cable again when you start doing your Townsend routine.  The main reason I use them though is that I have opened up alot of vintage gear, and been in many old pieces of ham radio equipment and 50-60 year old Switchcraft jacks are still tight, nearly uncorroded, and the fiber insulators between the parts are still solid.   Worth the extra $0.50 to me.  Cheers!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups