News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Master's in Ignorance from Big Dummy U

Started by PhiloB, May 10, 2015, 06:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

So I received my honorary Master's Degree from Big Dummy University today.
I built a 1776 Multiplex+modulation+RDD.  Sounds REALLY nice.  I decided to play it for a while and decide what mods I want to do (playing with ramp speed and such) before boxing it up.
So today I just wanted to play it.  I patched the testing rig into my pedal board so I could try it out with my dirt pedals.
Played it for about 5 minutes and really enjoyed it.  Then I decided to try a different mode on the delay but couldn't get the Delay 1 head to engage- been playing in EP-3 mode.  Then start playing with the mix and feedback knobs and they made no difference!!  Turns out none of my controls work!  I'm hearing delay+modulation+reverb but NONE of the controls work!! How could this be:(
Well, turns out I had forgotten that the last time I played had not been with the testing rig.  My Hamlet+ delay was engaged with modulation and the reverb on my amp was turned up pretty high.  THE TESTING RIG WAS IN BYPASS.
Guess what, it worked fine once I turned it on:/
I love the combo BTW.  Way to go Josh.

Proof that it works:)

http://soundcloud.com/resuggan/multiplex-with-modulation-rdd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtr2

Thats a funny story... I had a similar experience before  8)

Glad you enjoy the combo :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

haha, classic
pretty sure i've done something similar but i can't remember exactly what it was atm.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

PhiloB

I'm getting better about not totally freakin out when stuff like this happens.  Plugged a fuzz in the output the other day and very calmly problem solved it rather than freakjng out.
This one had me stumped for quite a while though;)

Stomptown

I was just looking at my testing rig the other day wondering why I added a bypass led.  Reading your post makes me think it wasn't such a bad idea!  :P

cooder

Classic.... been there done that got the T-Shirt, join the club... ;)
BigNoise Amplification

PhiloB

Did a quick sample of the functioning pedal;)
Features the HH Strat you guys helped me build;)
First guitar is the Echoplex mode with plenty of reverb.  Lead guitar is the Binson Echorec with light reverb.
http://soundcloud.com/resuggan/multiplex-with-modulation-rdd

slimtriggers

Demo sounds great!  Like Chris Isaak meets David Gilmour.

playpunk

Oh man, now I want to build both of these....
"my legend grows" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Love the demo. You need to update your MB Avatar with that dominating beard... puts my beard to shame.

Cody

PhiloB

Thanks guys.
Slimtriggers, I can hear the Chris Isaak thing. Also, this delay lends itself to David Gilmour type licks.
Cody, my wife was very supportive of the beard, but I noticed I was getting less and less physical attention as the beard got longer and longer. Eventually I decided to shave it.The kisses returned.  Although it wasn't a conscious thing on her part, it's made it a no-brainer for me. No beard!

Luke51411

That is an epic beard! (The delay sounds great too!)

PhiloB

Profile changed:) Also put a link to Multiplex+RDD sample in the original post for those interested.

playpunk

Hey last night I was testing a Slow Loris after boxing and couldn't figure out why my voltages were goofy (or nonexistent) then I realized it wasn't plugged in to a power source.

Can I matriculate in Big Dummy U based on my previous experience, or do I need to make a formal application?

Please advise.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

PhiloB

Playpunk, it depends on how long it took you to figure it out.  If you noticed it immediately without freaking out you may need some remedial classes.  Maybe take a couple courses at the the local community college.
If you spent a considerable amount of time trouble shooting and you cursed your creator in the process we may be able to work with that!