News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger One - Deteriorated PCB

Started by pdhonte, May 15, 2015, 02:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdhonte

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner with a few vero builds, but not many pcbs. I had to change the 7815 a few times, thinking I was frying them and I wonder if I haven't managed to burn or melt the pcb now. I have taken voltage readings on the in and out pins, both from ground and +18 v, giving 0 each time.

See the pics below, it's ugly. What do you think? Is there a way to fix it? Or should I start over?

Thanks!

Pierre.

micromegas

if you are patient and skillful with a xacto knife, you can always remove some solder mask from the lines that went to those solder points and solder the component legs to them, I've done that with resistors a couple of times. The problem with this one is that those are power lines for the regulator, so you'd better solder them well.

However, the first thing I would do would be to clean the zone with a braid and then some isopropil alcohol to evaluate the damage.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

pdhonte

Hello micromegas,

Thanks for the idea , I'll try that after the cleaning.

pdhonte

Tanks micromegas, it worked, I soldered directly the components together.

micromegas

Great! Enjoy your Harbinger.

Btw, did you use a solder sucker to remove the regulator? I always use a braid for that kind of things and have lifted a pad a couple of times. I am considering buying a Engineer SS-02 Solder sucker, Cody recommended it some time ago and I've read a lot of good reviews online. 

Here is one of my "fixes" for your enjoyment :)

pdhonte

That's very clean! Much cleaner than what I did. I used a pump, but it was messy. I'm just not very skillful with at soldering. Why is it better to use braid there?

micromegas

Quote from: pdhonte on May 18, 2015, 01:37:58 AM
That's very clean! Much cleaner than what I did. I used a pump, but it was messy. I'm just not very skillful with at soldering. Why is it better to use braid there?
It is not better, but sometimes the "sucking power" of the solder sucker is what lifts the pad if there's too much solder or if it's not completely melted, with the braid you have to be careful too but with some practice the results can be amazing.

playpunk

The ss2 is nice - I got one after using or trying to use the crappy blue one for a while. I still want a desolder station, but that will have to wait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk