News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass multi planning.

Started by Aristatertotle, January 19, 2016, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristatertotle

Hi folks!

So I've ventured into the world of doing my own layouts, and I've got a proto-board from oshpark on the way for an smd'ized version of MerlinB's engineer thumb on the way with the added attack and release knobs as well as the bright switch.

It was kind of disgustingly fun to make the pcb layout, and if it works I'll post it.

It got me thinking though, for a long term (no really) project I'm going to attempt an everything I need bass box. What I need is suggestions for the actual effects.

I'm thinking compressor -> dirt with a clean blend -> effects loop to add a filter (I don't use them much of bass myself) -> a modulation pedal -> EQ/preamp with direct out.

Going to try and shoot for a 1590dd or 1590d.

If my engineer's thumb layout works, I'll probably end up using that for the comp but I am tempted to go optical.

What are people's favorites for dirt and modulation? I was thinking a muff variant for the dirt, and either a chorus, flanger, or phaser for the modulation. Or possibly could go with an FV-1 to give whatever option?

Anything with preexisting projects I could reference would be appreciated as I'm new to this, but I'm going to work it in blocks I think and will post things as I go and post the final layout when everything is done. Ya know, in like a year or two :P.

Thanks!

Edit: I'll be asking for permission of and crediting every person's who's project I reference by the by.

jimilee

Very nice, I've found opticomps less useful in love situations. But my board consists of wah compressor byoc overdrive, green Russian,  klone ,delay ,phaser ,chorus ,bloviator.
I built an all in one with a jmk bass overdrive green Russian phaser and delay. Those are the ones I used the most
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

I didn't love the engineer's thumb for bass... felt like it made the tone a bit blah. Really prefer optical comps, but maybe having more controls is better if you are doing an ET.

I like the barbershop a lot for OD, but have also found that an Electra clone gives just the perfect amount of dirt.

m-Kresol

I built a Dr. Phil (TH customs) compressor for my brother which works well on bass. Also has a built in drive section and a clean blend.

Quote from: jimilee on January 19, 2016, 09:37:06 AM
Very nice, I've found opticomps less useful in love situations. But my board consists of wah compressor byoc overdrive, green Russian,  klone ,delay ,phaser ,chorus ,bloviator.
I built an all in one with a jmk bass overdrive green Russian phaser and delay. Those are the ones I used the most

Let me correct that for you:
But my board consists of wah compressor byoc overdrive, green Russian,  klone ,delay ,phaser ,chorus ,bloviator.Phaser, phaser, phaser, phaser.  ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jimilee

Quote from: m-Kresol on January 19, 2016, 12:56:38 PM
I built a Dr. Phil (TH customs) compressor for my brother which works well on bass. Also has a built in drive section and a clean blend.

Quote from: jimilee on January 19, 2016, 09:37:06 AM

Let me correct that for you:
But my board consists of wah compressor byoc overdrive, green Russian,  klone ,delay ,phaser ,chorus ,bloviator.Phaser, phaser, phaser, phaser.  ;)
Bwahahaha jokes!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

I thought it was about time we had some Jimmi+phaser jokes again since we lost so many of them  :P
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jimilee

Quote from: m-Kresol on January 19, 2016, 02:28:17 PM
I thought it was about time we had some Jimmi+phaser jokes again since we lost so many of them  :P
We have much to make up if anyone has any from before the great crash.

bcalla

I finished a bass multi project last July.  The build report I posted on Madbean got lost over the weekend.  Here it is over at Guitar PCB.

I included a GPCB Buffer/Silent Tuner, Canned Yam pre-amp, GPCB Paramix, Bearhug compressor, and TH Custom Balanced Line Driver.  I also used 2 GPCB Easy Order Switching boards so that I could put the Paramix effect loop before or after the compressor, and have the direct out pre or post effects.

jimilee

Quote from: bcalla on January 20, 2016, 07:00:10 AM
I finished a bass multi project last July.  The build report I posted on Madbean got lost over the weekend.  Here it is over at Guitar PCB.

I included a GPCB Buffer/Silent Tuner, Canned Yam pre-amp, GPCB Paramix, Bearhug compressor, and TH Custom Balanced Line Driver.  I also used 2 GPCB Easy Order Switching boards so that I could put the Paramix effect loop before or after the compressor, and have the direct out pre or post effects.
Sounds like a nice utility piece

Aristatertotle

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm starting to get an idea of what would be a good framework.

Bacalla, that's really similar to what I was thinking for the basis ofb what I've got planned out.

Sameage, did you do your ET on vero or did you use Jacob's pcb? I noticed on his he changed the output cap to 1uf instead of the 10uf on Merlin's schematic.

Also Jimi, how haven't you commented on lectricfx's announcement they're working on the a/da final phase!? I like the idea of the bloviator in the chain. I've got a populated board I've been meaning to box up, but it's really nice just on the testing rig.

thesameage

I used Jacob's mini layout. I felt like it "dulled" the tone in the same way that a Ross comp "dulls" the tone. It's just the sound of that type of compressor and I think that it's not for me. YMMV and others may love it on bass. FWIW, the madbean afterlife/ghost note is great.

Other contenders... I really like Rullywow's Tut (pharoah clone) in the muff position-- gives a lot of control over the sound, and Madbean's Lowrider from some of that Mike Gordon (Phish) soloing sound.

Aristatertotle

Cool, going between opti/not is going to be tough for the compressor. Guess I'll just have to build all of them!  ::)

I was actually considering an octaver as well. I've got the parts for a u-boat, maybe have to build that up.

thesameage

I gotta say, thought, that after a lot of messing around, the electra clone (madbean lavache) has been the best dirt that I've used. Not too extreme at all... just the right amount of dirt/OD for bass and it sounds very warm and organic.

As for always on OD, the barbershop has been my go to. I have a Klon clone for bass and it's "okay." Ends up being an effect and not an "always on" like the barbershop.

I've had issues with envelope filters... couldn't get one that was just right. I'm really liking the Fluff Girl/Bassballs clone right now, though.

Still really like the Mutron phaser project (krypton) that's been around her for a while.

My bass board right now for playing (not messing around at home) is: afterlife>barbershop>electra>fluffgirl>lowrider

If I had to do my ideal multi right now and I had to keep it at 4, it would probably be:
afterlife>electra>fluffgirl>lowrider

jimilee

Quote from: Aristatertotle on January 20, 2016, 09:18:03 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm starting to get an idea of what would be a good framework.

Bacalla, that's really similar to what I was thinking for the basis ofb what I've got planned out.

Sameage, did you do your ET on vero or did you use Jacob's pcb? I noticed on his he changed the output cap to 1uf instead of the 10uf on Merlin's schematic.

Also Jimi, how haven't you commented on lectricfx's announcement they're working on the a/da final phase!? I like the idea of the bloviator in the chain. I've got a populated board I've been meaning to box up, but it's really nice just on the testing rig.
Wait, what??? How did I miss that???

Willybomb

In my Bass multi I used the following:

Mictesters Really Cheap Compressor, tuned for bass, vero. Pretty good.
A Sprout one knob fuzz, Haberdasher etch.  Havent tried it in the band context.  I suspect it'll get swallowed up.
NE-1 bass preamp.  Vero.  Someone does this as a Canned Yam pcb.  This is essential imo. Great preamp.
THC balanced driver.  You need to get this too, my multi has 1/4 inch and xlr outs.