News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Planned maintenance and forum downtime

Started by madbean, February 10, 2016, 10:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Tomorrow morning I am going to attempt a fix on the forum to address some of the ongoing problems we are experiencing. There are numerous issues still lingering (problems with search, registration, tapatalk etc). A few other problems I have been able to resolve without interruption but the next step is going to be more drastic. I will be doing a clean install of the smf forum and re-importing the database. This means the forum will be down for several hours while I work on it. During that time the forum will be in Maintenance Mode which means you can get to the main page but you won't see any content. What would make this process even smoother is if everyone could hold off until the evening until trying to log back on, if possible.

Worst case scenario is if I'm not successful we'll end up where we started (nothing will be over-written in this process but I'll still be making backups).

madbean

I'm going to change the maintenance to this Saturday. I need more time to prepare and research exactly what I need to do. So, let's plan for Saturday morning instead.

Also, are there any PHPMyAdmin / SQL gurus on here? I remember someone offered help before but I am embarrassed to admit I forget who it was. Asking in case I need a quick email consult....nothing major. I will likely encounter some dumb question I don't know how to answer.

Leevibe

beneharris

Brian, I'm not super great with any of that, but I've had to fix my fair share of forum problems over the years, I'm more than happy to lend a hand in any way I can, should you need it.

You probably have got a handle on it, but if a second set of eyes help you flesh out the problem, give me a holler.

madbean

culturejam

I've done some PHPMySQL stuff over the years (and fixed / upgraded forums and Drupal sites). Not an expert, but I've gotten a lot of busted shit working again.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

I also have experience with MySQL & MsSQL. If I can help Brian in any way just ask.

Cody

slacker775

I've got years and years of PHP/web experience.  I generally avoid MySQL (issues like the table crashing that we've seen here and at BYOC being big reasons) but have plenty of SQL background to be able to fix issues with it as well.

madbean

Thanks guys, I have everyone's email so I will hit you up if I need to. You d00ds rule!

On the plus side, I fixed the forum registration issue last night right before I screw up, I mean, fix everything else.

m-Kresol

I don't know if this is just me or if it's a general issue, but I haven't got any notification emails on PMs although the settings clearly indicate I should. Also, it worked before the crash. Just wanted to let you know in case this is something that could be addressed too.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

madbean

Email notifications were disabled purposely last week. I will have them back when the forum comes back online.

madbean

I'm shutting the forum down at 9am CST for the maintenance. I expect it to be back late afternoon/early evening. If it goes longer I will post an update on the Facebook page.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on February 13, 2016, 06:18:40 AM
I'm shutting the forum down at 9am CST for the maintenance. I expect it to be back late afternoon/early evening. If it goes longer I will post an update on the Facebook page.
Don't have Facebook, this is my Facebook!!!!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.