News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clean blend on a musket fuzz

Started by HailToTheBlues, January 25, 2016, 11:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
A couple weeks ago i started a thread asking for help about tweeking a musket fuzz, and you suggested adding a clean blend pot, but a couple days ago i noticed the thread had been deleted, and i can't remember if i posted anything that could violate any terms of our forum, but i think i posted the usual "help thread" stuff ahah but anyway, could i get help from you guys on how to had the blend pot in a vero musket fuzz?

Best regards,
Rafa

matmosphere

The forum was down for a little while and a few months worth of post were lost. Your thread was probably part of what was lost.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21399.0;topicseen

Jebus

Hey!

This is what I have used: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.fi/2012/02/split-n-blend.html?m=1

In and out goes to 3PDT, send and return to the fuzz.

Edit. On the other hand I dont know how that fuzz likes the impedance change (that board is a buffer),  so you might want to breadboard this first.

selfdestroyer

The last 3 BMP variants I have made with clean blends I used Jason's (Apetone) Schooner pcb. Works great and looks clean in the build.

http://www.grindcustomsfx.com/product/apetone-schooner/

Cody

Drew Hallenbeck

Quote from: Jebus on January 26, 2016, 06:21:13 AM
Hey!

This is what I have used: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.fi/2012/02/split-n-blend.html?m=1

In and out goes to 3PDT, send and return to the fuzz.

Edit. On the other hand I dont know how that fuzz likes the impedance change (that board is a buffer),  so you might want to breadboard this first.

I think I might be having an impedance change issue using something like this with another fuzz circuit.
Any suggestions/starting points for fixing it before the fuzz input? Adding something between the "send" and the fuzz input?
I don't mean to hijack the thread but it could be useful to the OP as well.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
Thank you for the replies! Cody's suggestion looks great but i don't think it would fit in the enclosure since i usually drill the 3pdt hole really close to the end of the enclosure. I also liked Kalle's option, but now i'm interested in knowing if it would be a good option, due to the fact that i would be adding a buffer to the circuit of a BMP based pedal. Any help?

Jebus

I think this is one of the situations where everyone has different opinions. I personally don't think Big Muff -type circuit really is affected by a buffer that much. For example I think my brother has been using a Boss SD-1 for ages in front of his Big Muff without any problems. But then again, someone else might swear that the buffer eats all the beauty of the sound.. ;)

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,  I finally got time to do the clean blend mode and the thing is,  when it's on minimum, the musket sounds fine and how it's supposed to be sounding, then as you rotate the  blend pot, it doesn't feel like it's adding clean but sort of trading the fuzzy signal for clean,  and at the max blend,  it has only clean.  Is this how blends are supposed to work? (I highly doubt that)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on February 09, 2016, 02:51:55 PM
Hi guys,  I finally got time to do the clean blend mode and the thing is,  when it's on minimum, the musket sounds fine and how it's supposed to be sounding, then as you rotate the  blend pot, it doesn't feel like it's adding clean but sort of trading the fuzzy signal for clean,  and at the max blend,  it has only clean.  Is this how blends are supposed to work? (I highly doubt that)

What blend circuit did you end up using? I used the simple JFET blend on a RAT circuit and it had all kinds of phasing problems. I am wondering if you are having the same issues.

Cody

HailToTheBlues

I ended up using the Vero layout from tag board. I connected the "in" from the blend to the 3pdt's lug that you connect the fuzz "in" and did the same with the out. The send was connected to the fuzz in and the return was connected to the fuzz out,  so I don't know if the issue is due to a wrong connection. If it is due to phasing issues, is there a solution for it, or does it  mean this fuzz can't take a buffer properly?

HailToTheBlues

Jebus

Yes, that is how it is supposed to be. Its a blend between dry and wet (fuzz) sound.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: Jebus on February 15, 2016, 09:36:59 PM

Yes, that is how it is supposed to be. Its a blend between dry and wet (fuzz) sound.

But is it supposed to be giving me only clean signal when the blend is on max?

Jebus

Yes, I believe that's how it is supposed to be. It pans from completely dry to completely wet. I attached the schematic I found for it.

If you rather want it to be completely dry when its at minimum you can just swap the two outer wires from blend pot. :) If you want to change how it behaves I don't think I'm the right person to help. Haven't tinkered around with FETs enough.