News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow Loris Problems

Started by Trlawton, January 26, 2016, 12:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trlawton

Hey guys, I'm new to pedal building and madbean.  I've read the beginner threads and I'm gonna try the best I can to do this post right.  I just built a slow loris and the led works, but there is no sound when the pedal is engaged, only when in bypass.  Furthermore, the clipping diodes are lighting up when I strum the guitar. I've checked the soldering and everything looks right.  I've done a fair amount of soldering and other projects I've done haven't had any issues with that.  I've also checked the wiring numerous times and can't find any problems.

My IC voltages are as follows:
1:8.49
2:4.63
3:2.27
4:0
5:0
6:4.63
7:9.27
8:4.69

Transistor voltages:

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Drew Hallenbeck

If you don't have one, build an audio probe and start tracing the audio path through the circuit to see where the signal dies. They're dead easy to build and a super valuable tool for troubleshooting.

Maybe someone will be able to answer your question from the info you've provided but I think it's still good advice anyway.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

HamSandwich

Audio probe is a good next step.

Your transistor in the right way/substitute it for a different value?

Welcome to the forum.

Trlawton

Thanks guys I'll get on that when I get a chance.

gordo

Picture'd help too.  Sounds like a miswired switch?  Are you getting bypass on it or is the switch not installed yet?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Trlawton

Everything is installed.  I get sound through my amp in bypass, but when I engage the switch there's no sound.  The clipping leds light up so I guess that means at least part of the circuit's working. Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/qJFUy

AntKnee

Its hard to tell from the pics what is going on with the footswitch, but I suspect that is the culprit. Could you post a clear pic showing the footswitch and its wiring?
As was mentioned,  a probe is probably going to be the next step.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Orbis_Ignis

Make sure your pots aren't shorting out on the board. Simple I know, but I had this problem. I put mine in the case and it tested out fine. I then tightened everything down and no sound when engaged(leds would light up when strummed). I even had pot condoms. I ended up putting some electrical tape on the board and on the pot legs(just in case they were not going in straight and touching).

Worked for me and was a very simple fix.

Oh, and like others have said an audio probe is priceless for troubleshooting

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the pics. And my suggestion will not help you, lol. Sorry. However, I would probably reflow the solder on your wires on the board. They seem to have a lot and they kind of look dull from the pic. But I may be wrong

gordo

Hard to tell from the picture but are the IN and OUT jacks reversed?  Would explain why bypass works.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Looks like the ground wire on the upper right jack isn't hooked to the ground lug. Really only need a stereo jack if you're running a battery.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Orbis_Ignis

Quote from: jimilee on February 03, 2016, 06:12:53 PM
Looks like the ground wire on the upper right jack isn't hooked to the ground lug. Really only need a stereo jack if you're running a battery.

Yep, it definitely doesn't look like it's attached to the sleeve