News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jan. 30,31 Posts gone now too?

Started by davent, February 01, 2016, 03:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Another couple days of posts lost to the ether?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

m-Kresol

seems like it. Brian mentioned on FB that he knows what caused the problem, which hopefully means it can be fixed!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

EBRAddict

Haberdasher

I don't know about you guys, but I only refreshed once today while the forum was down.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Jabulani Jonny

I know.  I was like, "you won't make me be productive!  You CAN'T MAKE ME BE PRODUCTIVE!!"

I was over at the BYOC forum, but got tired of the 11:1 post ratio of people not being able to get the Confidence booster to work versus legitimate conversation.  God bless those folks. 
Jonathan

AntKnee

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on February 01, 2016, 05:16:17 PM
I know.  I was like, "you won't make me be productive!  You CAN'T MAKE ME BE PRODUCTIVE!!"

I was over at the BYOC forum, but got tired of the 11:1 post ratio of people not being able to get the Confidence booster to work versus legitimate conversation.  God bless those folks.

Lmao.

I am avoiding starting any new threads for a couple days unless I have to. I lost a couple of good ones with that last crash.

God bless Brian for doing his best to keep it together.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

alanp

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on February 01, 2016, 05:16:17 PM

There are times I'm jealous of you people who work in nice, airconditioned offices with internet access all the time. But at least the room I'm in has some pretense at airconditioning, unlike them poor buggers upstairs on the chain. (I'm in the offal room.)

Too busy strapping boxes and labelling them for all I'm worth!

More seriously, I had a horrible suspicion this would happen when I tried to log on here before leaving for work this morning.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

I've had a good night's sleep and a chance to get over myself, so here's the deal:

The weekly maintenance is causing the forum to crash. This is a combination of table repairs/optimizations that smf automatically does. I do not know why. I had re-scheduled it to happen in the wee hours hoping that it would work okay during lower traffic. I even got up at 3am Sunday to do a back-up just before the maintenance.

The forum crashed and my back-up turned out to be corrupted (a specific type of error which is beyond my capability of fixing). So, it was coming down to a choice of either 1) hiring someone who knows sql to fix the problem 2) spending who knows how long trying to fix it myself or 3) load the next good backup from two days earlier. I went with option 3 because the other two meant the forum would be down for days.

Steps I'm taking to prevent further problems - I've removed all automated maintenance tasks so this specific error should not happen again and I will continue to make frequent backups. Removing the maintenance is not ideal...the tables need occasional optimization and so on. But, it at least solves the immediate issue. Longer term, I'm going to have to either bone up and learn some sql and PHPAdmin or at least have someone who can do it for me when issues arise. For now, the immediate cause of the problem has been dealt with AFAIK, so please continue posting!

beneharris

Quote from: madbean on February 02, 2016, 05:56:35 AM
I've had a good night's sleep and a chance to get over myself, so here's the deal:

The weekly maintenance is causing the forum to crash. This is a combination of table repairs/optimizations that smf automatically does. I do not know why. I had re-scheduled it to happen in the wee hours hoping that it would work okay during lower traffic. I even got up at 3am Sunday to do a back-up just before the maintenance.

The forum crashed and my back-up turned out to be corrupted (a specific type of error which is beyond my capability of fixing). So, it was coming down to a choice of either 1) hiring someone who knows sql to fix the problem 2) spending who knows how long trying to fix it myself or 3) load the next good backup from two days earlier. I went with option 3 because the other two meant the forum would be down for days.

Steps I'm taking to prevent further problems - I've removed all automated maintenance tasks so this specific error should not happen again and I will continue to make frequent backups. Removing the maintenance is not ideal...the tables need occasional optimization and so on. But, it at least solves the immediate issue. Longer term, I'm going to have to either bone up and learn some sql and PHPAdmin or at least have someone who can do it for me when issues arise. For now, the immediate cause of the problem has been dealt with AFAIK, so please continue posting!

Don't feel too bad, at least you're getting it handled! To make you feel a little better, when I first started running the forum that I do admin stuff for, I accidentally deleted a whole section of forum instead of just merging it into a new one. That was quite embarassing  ;D