News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass fuzz built with a nod to Tom Selleck's fine mustache

Started by Drew Hallenbeck, February 03, 2016, 04:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Hallenbeck

It's the Angelic Selleck Mustache Ride!

It's a Mastadon fuzz (W00ly M@mmoth) and a Buff n Blend from Barry at GuitarPCB.
The fuzz did NOT like the buffer. Took me a while to figure it out, thought I really screwed the build up at first. It was all glitchy and sputtery when I first fired it up.
I decided to put a resistor before the input to the fuzz and it started getting better. I ended up using a small 1x1 board and put a resistor/trim pot combo in front of the fuzz. There's a resistor in the return circuit of the buff n blend that Barry suggested socketing and using a jumper or up to a 10k resistor. I decided to make that a trim pot and stuck it on the small board too.
I still need to give it a proper test run on the bass rig and adjust the trimmers. I'm just happy it's working.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

AntKnee

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

bcalla

Matt

Matt

midwayfair

beneharris

lol, those graphics are fantastic. I too, am giggling uncontrollably in front of coworkers.

Drew Hallenbeck

Yes, mustache rides often lead to uncontrollable giggling!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mark123

thesameage

I have a few of those buff and blends and I haven't really been able to get them to work so well... lots of pedals don't like the buffer.

Drew Hallenbeck

Yeah, I think a single op amp set up as a simple voltage follower, not adding any gain might have worked better with the fuzz. Could use a dual op amp and incorporate a toggle to switch between inverting and non-inverting inputs for the effected signal to correct any phase issues too. Luckily I didn't have any problems with phase but other circuits might.
Still, a pretty cool little board. Just  need to be careful in the application.

thesameage

Def need to be careful in application... went back and forth with it for a while on a kraken before I realized that there were huge phase issues.