News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Voodoo vibe, pangea

Started by gitaar0, February 07, 2016, 04:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitaar0

Voodoo vibe or Pangea with Brejna's pcb.
This has been one of the most uncomplicated builds I have done. Altough it is not a simple build it just worked from the first instance. Great pcb and excellent design (thanks brejna)! not in the least by the fact that some of the more hard to obtain parts were included in the group buy.
It works really well. The cap selection pcb I etched myself and I used the caps recommended in the build doc. Good choice as they differ in a very nice way.

I have two things I would like to improve: 1- The cap switching pops when the pedal is just turned on. After you have switched it with the power on then it does not pop so much anymore. I am not sure which version of the switch I used, maybe I should have use a make before break? But I am not sure if that would fix it. Resistance to ground might influence the filter or not?
2- The volume of the tremelo is softer then the chorus and vibe. I guess getting that on the same level is not an easy fix?

Faceplate is a copperclad I etched and still needs some extra finish. Box is a 1790ns  size equivalent. Fits well. Relay switching by TH customs included in this design is great. i think I will use that more in some other builds.
I was looking for a long time for a voodoo vibe build project and iI am glad I found this.
Thanks to Brejna.

BrianS

Very nice build. I really need to start working on mine.

m-Kresol

the faceplate turned out perfect! enjoy it
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

brejna

Nice looking build! :)
About cap switching you could put 10M resistors between capacitors connected to switch side like in MBP Weener II. I think it shouldn't change freq.
Tremolo volume depends on the LFO controls a lot, especially on the intensity and bias knob. If you want more tremolo you have to increase intensity and to get more volume you need to turn bias knob counterclockwise, so you will get more volume out of it.

I hope it helps
Cheers
Brane

gitaar0

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I will try the 10m resistors. With the MBP weener wah II  there is two 10 m resistors bridging the 3 switch points. Would you do this with all 4 switch points in this case?

I got how the controls influence the tremelo. There is however quite a volume differene with the chorus or vibe mode when using the same bias and intensity values. I was just wondering if there was a fix for that. Maybe it is just the nature of the beast?

Thanks

nzCdog

zoiks! that is hot, great build! 8)

brejna

Quote from: gitaar0 on February 25, 2016, 02:03:25 PM
Thanks for the kind remarks.

I will try the 10m resistors. With the MBP weener wah II  there is two 10 m resistors bridging the 3 switch points. Would you do this with all 4 switch points in this case?

I got how the controls influence the tremelo. There is however quite a volume differene with the chorus or vibe mode when using the same bias and intensity values. I was just wondering if there was a fix for that. Maybe it is just the nature of the beast?

Thanks

You could try to isolate where the popping comes from and put resistor over there.. About tremolo it is nature of effect.

gitaar0

Ok, I will try those 'pop resistors' 😉

The tremelo is lower in volume than unity. I read somewhere that there is a simple fix ( but could not find the "fix")
How can I increase the output level just a bit?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv1kguunn6bbe7q/Pangea%202015.pdf?dl=0

blearyeyes

Inspiring build.

The face plate is beautiful.

I have to get back at it...

Guitarmageddon

Really nice build of a really great circuit! 8)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

gitaar0

Thanks for the kind remarks guys.
I have been trying to get rid of the popping but the 10m resistors made it worse.
I will have to find some time to solve this.

I have not seen any other builds posted? Surprising!

daleykd

What did the kit from TH include?  The PIC10 and the FTR-B4C relay?

gitaar0

It was a pcb from brejna using the switching of TH. Brejna included the relay and pic with the pcb
No kit.

daleykd

Quote from: gitaar0 on March 28, 2016, 01:03:07 PM
It was a pcb from brejna using the switching of TH. Brejna included the relay and pic with the pcb
No kit.
Aaaaargh.  I got the PCB from Brejna this last GB, and he didn't offer the relay stuff; I had to buy direct from TH.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: gitaar0 on February 27, 2016, 05:22:03 AM
The tremelo is lower in volume than unity. I read somewhere that there is a simple fix ( but could not find the "fix")
How can I increase the output level just a bit?

I just finished mine, great pedal. My tremolo volume is pretty low as well and seems to be only usable when the pots are in extreme positions (intensity high and bias low, as brenja said) - and then it is still lower than unity  :(. I don't care that much, because I will most likely only use it in chorus mode anyway, but still, a fix would be nice.

I could think of a jfet booster between pin "3" of the rotary switch and R38. Or did somebody find another solution already?