News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fat pants jr. Vs. Bacon Bits

Started by jtaormina, February 07, 2016, 01:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtaormina

I want to use one or the other as an end of chain volume boost. Thoughts? I think the fat pants is what I want but I'm not sure. Anyone built these have any thoughts?

nzCdog

jtaormina

Are they both super clean? I also only use 57' classics so they are going to get a hotter signal.

JC103

I have a Fatpants 2013 etch from Haberdasher, it's not as clean as I thought it would be. Sounds great, just not what I would call clean. It adds an aura of authenticity to my Multiplex Jr. when set for slap back.

nzCdog

Bacon bits would prolly the cleaner of the two... has decent headroom with the split rails.  I like them both

artstomp

..i was told an MXR microamp or similar opamp circuit is more transparent as a volume boost...but i have no first hand experience with them..

raulduke

Quote from: artstomp on February 07, 2016, 08:45:24 PM
..i was told an MXR microamp or similar opamp circuit is more transparent as a volume boost...but i have no first hand experience with them..

I'd agree. Plus the Baconbits has a higher headroom before clipping (it uses a higher voltage supply).

The Echoplex preamp circuit (and JFET circuits in general IMO) adds a certain 'something' to the signal. It's like a special sauce  :)

If you want clean I'd go for Baconbits, if you want some 'character' I'd go for the Fatpants.

jtaormina

Awesome thanks guys! Great feedback. I'll go with the bacon bits then. I want clean and transparent as possible in a 1590A. I actually have both pcb's and I've been sitting on them as my last project was wrapping up. This helps me use my tiny bit of free time wisely.

EBRAddict

Quote from: artstomp on February 07, 2016, 08:45:24 PM

I built one for my wife to use with a bass, it is extremely clean. I used a TLV2372 IC with rail-to-rail in and out. I etched a board but there is a a layout on the vero site too.