News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hyperactive Hyperdrive - Kingslayer, Egghead, Boneyard

Started by Willybomb, February 11, 2016, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

So what do you do when you finish a pedal at 3.45am Eastern Standard Time?

You gosh darnit get on the Madbean forum and show it off before you tighten everything and put the knobs on.  This is my best build ever.   I think.  Possibly.  More than likely.  It's pretty early/late here.  I'm certainly happy with how neat it is.

Here we have a multi for a friend of mine who picked these out after we went through my other builds and tried those and a stack of unboxed vero. 

I said "Which one do you like?"
He replied, "Can I have that, that, and that in one box? Plus a boost and a compressor?"
Yeah, ok.

So, this was going to be called "Dirty Box", then it changed to "Dirty Mind", and featured a trio of Scantily Clad Young Eastern European Ladies Of Dubious Career Choices as the artwork.  There was a policy shift on the homefront and we were going to go with the robots from Pacific Rim, but when I decided to go with the board mounted pots on the Kingslayer and use that layout for the other two effects I found the Delorian.  He's a BTTF fan too, so this is good.

Not the best 3pdt pcbs for this application as they lack 9v/ground through points, so that's why you see the ground getting daisy chained from the top left corner hanging off resistor leg cutoffs.  I really wanted to keep this neat, and I spent the day deciding how I was going to do the ground, and moreso the 9v runs.  I'll use different ones for my next multi.

Label is a cheap adhesive inkjet/laser printer paper.  Unfortunately, the clearcoat caused it to become somewhat transparent as it soaked in, killing the colour brightness and showing the black underneath and any flaws.  I tried spraying the label before application, but when that didn't work I sanded the box back to bare, sprayed the etching primer, masked it off and gave the top a coat of white enamel undercoat to give a white backing for the label.

I used a 2pack rattlecan ($$$) originally as I ran out of the 1k rattlecan I normally use and couldn't source it here.  It wouldn't/didn't seem to cure properly and that gave me cause to sand back too.  I used an enamel clear on another project but I was unhappy with how it yellowed (and yes, I sanded that back, eventually doing the white top on that project). So, I found a rattle can of clear lacquer I had lying around and used that.  Very, very happy.  Dries to touch dry in what seems to be seconds, but takes a while to harden properly.  Doesn't yellow at all, I'll keep using this stuff if I can keep finding it - even my favorite 1k yellowed a touch.

Would have been happier if I could have found a place that sold the waterproof laser adhesive paper as this stuff takes a few coats to get to a decent smooth thickness.

Anyway, behold, Hyperactive Hyperdrive.  Madbean Kingslayer, Egghead, and single channel Boneyard Haberdasher etch.

matmosphere

playpunk

Sweet! Young ladies of dubious career choices sounds like a fun group to hang with
"my legend grows" - playpunk

beneharris

That is awesome. Its fun seeing how much you can stuff into a box.  :)

m-Kresol

turned out awesome; you've got one lucky friend. Big fan of the BTTF series too. What knobs are you going to put on?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

alanp

Quote from: Willybomb on February 11, 2016, 05:33:12 PM
So, this was going to be called "Dirty Box", then it changed to "Dirty Mind", and featured a trio of Scantily Clad Young Eastern European Ladies Of Dubious Career Choices as the artwork.  There was a policy shift on the homefront and we were going to go with the robots from Pacific Rim, but when I decided to go with the board mounted pots on the Kingslayer and use that layout for the other two effects I found the Delorian.  He's a BTTF fan too, so this is good.

I take it She Who Must Be Obeyed caught wind?

Good stuff :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Willybomb

QuoteNice! Does it run off a Mr Fusion?

Nope, it'll run off the Flux Capacitor that'll be in front of it in the signal chain.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21543.0

QuoteI take it She Who Must Be Obeyed caught wind?

More that she didn't want their 5 year old son to start thinking of women as objects which is probably fair enough.  The first version was just headshots of the brunette, redhead, and blonde, but the final version was from the chin down with labels and switches placed in strategic places.  "Scantily clad" was an exaggerated description of the presence of clothes...

And, now with knobs...