News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hi from NWCT

Started by harryklippton, August 26, 2019, 10:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

hi y'all, my name is Will. I've been lurking here for a couple of months. I'm very dangerous with a soldering iron and good at assembling projects that don't work. I'm constantly trying to learn stuff and have enjoyed reading posts here.

Last year I got back into pedal building after not doing any electronics projects for a few years. I botched an amp build a few years back thinking i was hot shit and then got discouraged. I've purchased a buttload of madbean boards but haven't assembled any yet. Once I stray from a kit, things tend to not work so well. Anyway, nice to "meet" you all!

gordo

Welcome aboard!!  Amps are a different beast but the Bean boards are great so should turn your build experience around.  I've had this heavily modded homemade Champ I built a very long time ago and wanted to make a new board for it and go back to dead stock tweed specs/layout.  I've been doing this for as long as I can remember and it was a total fail.  Huh???

Keeps the hot-shit in check :-)  I did get it working (was a total knot-head grounding mistake).  The upside is that I had forgotten what a simple little tweed Champ sounded like.

Enjoy this place and ask lots of questions.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Yahoo67

Hi will !
Let me first off say that we all got a box of dead boards that we've been telling ourselves ..., someday ....but in 4-5 years we will just throw away. No sweat ^^

Second if you wanna do boards and no kit you should start by doing projects that you can source all of the parts from tayda electronics. Having to just order from one place was key in starting and finishing projects for me . I got about 12 vfe boards that don't get build because of all the different places I need to get the parts :x . Tayda is cheap and they have  a 15% coupon code 2 times a month... Basically it covers the shipping charges. I know that many find their components bad but I never had a problem in my experience.

Third start with just a few boards 2-3. I would recommend madbeans baby boards or maybe even the 1590g series. The moar is a awesome simple over drive, the hipster is real easy to build and you could event do a silicon range master. Also use 1590b or even 125b enclosed even if those are tiny boards, you got more room to build in and if you screw up part of the drilling it migth be more forgiving.

So yeah I don't know what boards you already got but I would start with the simplest one and work on up !

Leevibe

Welcome! Don't be scared. Just be slow and methodical and you'll see some success.

Thewintersoldier

Welcome, Im new around here in an official capacity but have been lurking for over a year. Everyone here is really helpful and insightful so take their advice. Take your time, have fun and make some noise.
Who the hell is Bucky?

mjg

Hi Will, welcome!  People tend to be helpful here, so I'm sure you will get things working.

Can I be the first to ask where NWCT is?   ;D

harryklippton

Quote from: mjg on August 26, 2019, 08:13:41 PM

Can I be the first to ask where NWCT is?   ;D

Northwest Connecticut, USA.

mjg

Hmm, I thought maybe North Wiscontucky, so I guess that was close? 

(I had to learn the US States in high school...don't remember many of them now  :-[)

harryklippton

Quote from: mjg on August 27, 2019, 03:06:11 PM
Hmm, I thought maybe North Wiscontucky, so I guess that was close? 

(I had to learn the US States in high school...don't remember many of them now  :-[)

That's ok, I sent a package to Victoria, British Columbia Canada instead of Victoria Australia once

Aleph Null

Welcome to the party!

Quote from: Yahoo67 on August 26, 2019, 12:18:14 PM
Hi will !
Let me first off say that we all got a box of dead boards that we've been telling ourselves ..., someday ....but in 4-5 years we will just throw away. No sweat ^^

Second if you wanna do boards and no kit you should start by doing projects that you can source all of the parts from tayda electronics.

This is sage advice. Everyone has a "fail pail". Also, every time I've missed a part on an order is when I was 1) ordering from more than to suppliers, or 2) ordering for more than one build at a time. Start with something simple that will give you a quick taste of success before moving on to twenty-four stage flangers.