News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sounds Like Doom—Verified

Started by Droogie, February 26, 2016, 10:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droogie

Have the day off from work and the weather blows so I'm just a sittin' and a verifyin'.

It really sounds like doom! I'm tempted to try other values for the heavy cap (47u)—pretty subtle as is. Also tempted to try different values for C9, 10 and 11 which are switchable via the shift switch—two of the positions are very similar.

Overall, there's a ton of gainy doom, and the tone controls have a lot of variation. Definitely worth building!

Board by Haberdasher:

Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

selfdestroyer

Awesome, I was waiting for a couple parts to get mine up and going.

Cody

Droogie

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 26, 2016, 11:03:22 AM
Awesome, I was waiting for a couple parts to get mine up and going.

Cody

Which reminds me: the C1M pot for the input was left out of the build doc. I checked the schem for the value.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Droogie on February 26, 2016, 11:11:13 AM
Which reminds me: the C1M pot for the input was left out of the build doc. I checked the schem for the value.

I had that in my notes also to bring up.

Cody

madbean

Thanks for the note. I have corrected the shopping list and reloaded the zip file.

olejason

Hey Droogie do you happen to have pictures of the other side of your pcb?  I'm still pretty new to all this, it would be helpful if I could compare my build to make sure I have everything properly placed.  Thanks!

Droogie

I don't have a pic at the moment, but I can take one and post it tonight!

Droogie

olejason

Thanks!  Just waiting on switches to try it out.  Your pictures were a big help

olejason

I have this mostly working after a lot of troubleshooting and learning.  I have two issues I'm still having trouble with, I can ask in the beginners section if that would be more appropriate.

1)  The heavy pot doesn't seem to do very much.  Is that normal?  I used a 5kB pot as spec'd in the document.  I do notice a difference when engaging the More switch but the pot doesn't seem to do much regardless of the switch status.

2)  When I install LED's I get significant volume drop.  After thinking about it, I may have the L1 & L2 wires breadboarded incorrectly.  Should they go to Ground or +9v?  I'll try this out when I get home.  I had them running to ground.  Switching the More switch on and off didn't disengage the LED so I definitely have something goofed here.

As an aside, flipping Q1 sounds pretty cool, I'm considering leaving it as is.

Regex_Philbin

Hi everyone, first post, sorry the thread is so old but... seems like where this belongs.. 

I built this about a week ago, and it sounds pretty great, but rather bright on bass..  I'm not sure if there's a problem in the instructions, or in my understanding..  the mod for B/G adds a 4.7n cap option, but, it's my understanding that input caps are usually enlarged for bass, not made smaller..  can someone tell me if this is a mistake, or if I'm misunderstanding something?.  Thanks everyone..

Regex_Philbin

ok so I think my brightness problem was just me trying to tame the insanely loud volume of this thing lol..  played it through a much better amp and had no trouble going very dark..  I would still love to understand the B/G part of the circuit better if anyone can help me out..  also, would it be a bad idea to try to tame the output through mods?.