News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Incoming: Bass VI

Started by madbean, March 02, 2016, 02:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

So, I sold two guitars and bought one. That's a good trend right?

Been wanting a Bass VI for a while and found a really good deal on Reverb. Perfect compliment to my baritone I think. Comes tomorrow! Here's the seller's pic.

Jules

Looks Great!
I wouldn't mind one of those myself.

matmosphere

Nice! Have fun with it. I've had to stop myself from buying one of those a few times. It gets harder every time.

lincolnic

For years, I've been wishing they'd make a lefty version of these. Jealous.

Drew Hallenbeck

Very cool!
I've come close to pulling the trigger on one of those a couple times.
I have plenty of first world problems. Not having quite enough disposable income for one of these is on that list of problems  ::)
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Tremelo68

I've got one and it is great. Can't beat it for the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HamSandwich

Looking forward to your review!

raulduke

I've been so close to buying one of these many times.

So cool. Make sure to play some Twin Peaks.

Would love to know your thoughts on it.

selfdestroyer

I wanted one of these so bad but other things always seem to get in the way of me buying it. One day...

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it after you have played it awhile.

Cody

blearyeyes

If been so curious about those and what they are like. If you get a chance post some your impressions.

thesameage

Do you play it like a six string bass, or do you play chords like a guitar on it?

culturejam

I've never understood what the Bass VI is supposed to be. Is it an actual bass? It doesn't really look like one. And if it's not a bass, why is "bass" in the name?  :o :-\
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

thesameage

^^^ this... hopefully you guys can explain. I've always wondered myself. The point (in some ways) of an actual six string bass is that you have more access to notes/scales without moving your hand position. But the spacing is so tight here that it seems like it would be better suited to actual tuned down guitar chords... that's what I've always wondered.

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on March 03, 2016, 02:29:35 PM
I've never understood what the Bass VI is supposed to be. Is it an actual bass? It doesn't really look like one. And if it's not a bass, why is "bass" in the name?  :o :-\

Is a bass, but unlike most other six string basses the low string is still an E instead of the more common B. So it's tuned like a standard guitar just one octave lower. You can think of it as being like a for string bass but with two higher strings.

Some people say they aren't basses because they have a thirty inch scale length, but that's a standard for short scale basses. My epiphone Rivoli is a thirty inch scale and it can growl like an evil beast. Fender mustang and musicmaster basses are short scale. There are numerous others as well.

One of the main differences you'll notice playing one is the string spacing is much tighter than a standard bass. It's much closer to the string spacing of a six string guitar. So if you're a bass player who plays guitar too or a guitar player who wants to play bass it will be very easy to fall into playing this like you'd play a guitar, not how you'd play a bass. 

The Bass VI's I've played haven't sounded quite as deep as I was hoping them to be, the don't quiet have the thump a P does, but from what I've read heavier strings can help a lot with that. Might also have to do with the amps I've used them with as well. Not to say they don't sound nice. They sound cool as hell, but but theyv definitely have there own sound.

Interesting Bass VI trivia, John Lennon played one in the Beatles to cover bass duties when Paul was otherwise occupied with piano or guitar.

matmosphere

Quote from: thesameage on March 03, 2016, 02:49:04 PM
^^^ this... hopefully you guys can explain. I've always wondered myself. The point (in some ways) of an actual six string bass is that you have more access to notes/scales without moving your hand position. But the spacing is so tight here that it seems like it would be better suited to actual tuned down guitar chords... that's what I've always wondered.

The reason for the higher strings is apparently that builders thought the tension of lower strings would just snap the neck.

The string spacing is hard to adjust to, but once you're used to it it's not a big deal. You can play it just like a normal four string. Maybe even a little (or a lot) faster with a little work.

All this talk is making me feel like I need one again.

I've always wanted a twelve string bass as well. Get that Cheap Trick sound.